Hi all,

I've just started doing some research about car sales people and wondered if there was any sort of car dealer of the year competition or if its possible to find people who are considered the very best salesmen/women in the country.  Would anyone want to suggest some names, or put themselves forward? I would like to speak to anyone really who has lots of ideas and opinions and passion about the trade, about cars, about selling.  I can't say too much about who or what I am researching for at the moment but I can guarantee that I'm not trying to show the trade or any individuals in a negative light.  I have just been tasked with finding some interesting personalities who live and breathe selling cars. 

Thanks for reading

Graham

Hi Graham , I'll start the ball rolling , OF COURSE ITS ME !!! :)  , Just kidding .. There are so , so many people out there ..it all depends on what you mean by 'best' and what they are judged on ! Good luck in your research and will be interesting to see where this leads ... !

Hi Umesh

Thanks for the reply.  I guess the person or people I am looking for are larger than life characters, people with a lot to say and with big, unique personalities.  They also have to have that passion for cars that I wrote about, not someone who can sell anything to anyone, but someone who is only interested in selling cars.  That may well be you!  I  am happy to talk to you on the phone or anyone else who might offer themselves up, or who someone nominates.  I need to find 4 or 5 candidates so any help is much appreciated.

Graham

Hi Graham, I'm a larger than life character who tells it exactly how it is to both customers and suppliers alike, only problem I gave up selling as many cars 10 years ago and now sell vans with a passion instead. Apart from that I think I'm exactly what you're looking for. I'd be happy to help.

Hi Phil - do you want to message me your contact details and I'll be in touch.

Hi Phil. I can see you've messaged me but I don't seem to be able to access it on my phone. I won't be at a computer for most of the day but as soon as I can I'll contact you. 

G

Hi all - a little more information about this post -

We are an established TV production company with a track record in motoring. We are looking for some fresh on-screen talent. Is that you? We need the following:

CAR DEALERS

Charismatic car dealers who could turn a deal even if it’s away from their regular patch.  We don’t mind about age, accent or experience. Perhaps you know someone who might fit the bill. To work on TV, it helps if you are larger than life and easy to like.

MECHANICS

Fun and knowledgeable mechanics who could make dull  mechanical jobs come alive…men or women who have lots of ideas. Could you quickly diagnose a fault on an expensive sportscar?  We don’t mind what you look like, how old you are…but you must have character.  We are happy to look at teams of 2 if that’s easier.

PETROL HEADS

Are you involved in motoring with a busy life? We need characters who are watchable with captivating daily lives.  It helps if those ‘people stories’ have a bit of drama, problems and resolutions.

We’ll need your name, number and e-mail address. If you know someone with a smart-phone or a camcorder, why not send us a 30- 60s video telling us a little bit about yourself. Don’t try too hard to be a ‘presenter’ …try and be natural.

Any approaches made to us will be done in confidence. If you think you might fit the bill, or know someone else who might, please get in touch

Edited by James Baggott
Contravenes forum rules

Hi Graham, I'm a larger than life character who tells it exactly how it is to both customers and suppliers alike, only problem I gave up selling as many cars 10 years ago and now sell vans with a passion instead. Apart from that I think I'm exactly what you're looking for. I'd be happy to help.

​Slightly off thread, but sometimes I feel like just selling vans instead of cars. I probably sell half a dozen a year and find it a breath of fresh air compared to the prepping and selling of cars.

​Slightly off thread, but sometimes I feel like just selling vans instead of cars. I probably sell half a dozen a year and find it a breath of fresh air compared to the prepping and selling of cars.

​Out of curiosity, and perhaps Phil H can help with this one too, where do you advertise your vans for sale?

I know when, on the odd occasion I have been looking for a van for a customer, I have found the Auto Trader's website to be next to useless. When selling vans I have had a good response from eBay but the search mechanism doesn't seem to be that well suited to searching for vans, unless just typing out exactly what you want in the search bar?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts/experience.

I advertise my vans on Ebay and do quite well from it and it cost's a fraction of the price of AT but I never engage in an email conversation with someone who emails me after ten o'clock at night because in my experience these people have just come in from the pub after having a few and by the time they read the email in the morning they've forgotten what they did the night before, so all I do is simply reply Thanks for your inquiry please call me on (my phone number) to discuss, that way it filters out the serious customers from the time wasters. Another tip is don't let your advert auto renew end it yourself leave it an hour or so then relist it and it appears in the search results as newly listed. Another thing I do quite often is Use the Headline " 1 Week only WAS (price) NOW ONLY (price) SAVE (saving) and it creates the urgency. These tips are simple to do but I find quite effective. Hope this advice works for you all. 

• Like 1