Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

MOT advisories

I use a couple of MOT stations and i have noticed with one place in particular they seem to be a bit picky with their advisories since the changes last year. For example silly things like "rear indicator lamps slightly discoloured" even when its not noticible - to me anyway !

Has anybody else noticed this since the MOT changes last year or is it just me ?

10 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

Has anybody else noticed this since the MOT changes last year or is it just me ?

MOT garages get randomly inspected by DVSA and there are certain statistics about their pass rate. A garage stands out with a pass rate too high or too low or if no advisory items are issued. The owner of a garage I use will often fail his own car (brake discs for example) just before he replaces them anyway. That is the probably the best maintained Cayenne with a fail on each of it's MOTs since 2015. Newer and eager testers will slap on advisory items even for minor things or every plastic cover that the car has :-)

Its a common disease that mot testers contract, Its called Tinypenisitus all mot testers have it :D

It has replaced the lesser know strain of Massivechiponshoulderitus :ph34r:

• Like 1

I think if you asked someone to come up with a stupid system they would struggle to get one to match the current mot system. 

2 hours ago, Stalker said:

Its a common disease that mot testers contract, Its called Tinypenisitus all mot testers have it :D

It has replaced the lesser know strain of Massivechiponshoulderitus :ph34r:

:-)

ive always found this is when the rot starts

they get jealous that you are turning motors over having it large

time to move on ive always found

they know what you do they know advisories are picked over by most customers these days so they are messing you

why dont they just do the job you pay them for

• Like 1

Sometimes it's just a new tester given the job so it's worth mentioning it to the manager that they're being a bit of a jobsworth, failing that just move somewhere else they'll soon notice the drop in business.

Was at my local GRG this morning with three jobs for them on new arrivals, they had closed yesterday at 3pm so I missed them. The reason, annual refresher training for the three MOT Lads.. I was told they were shown their individual results vs national results as a test station and as testers! Looks like they are monitored back door to front now, frequency of failures/ares of failures.. head tester was showing as red and a warning, turns out as he performs the most tests - some 218 in the last 6mths of the 2018 so he gets the most results against his test number.. no issues with him, just really rigorous tester! I am told they used him as a good example! Shows how tightly they intend monitoring and how they will choose what stations to inspect/repeated areas of failure..

Just think of the ruddy stats they have on failure rates/areas of failure by Manufacturer/model... Got to be worth a good few quid to someone..! For me, so long as the car is tested thoroughly and gets its ticket, its peace of mind.

24 minutes ago, tradex said:

To me that proves the system has bad flaws, that they must match Mr average tester, I may if misunderstood something though. 

Just experienced odd first hand. All my cars prepped before ticket so no silly fails. Picked car up with a pass sheet on seat......and a fail underneath for rear side AND stop light, hmm? 

Think there will always be flaws to be honest, then throw in the odd pissy tester/self appointed savior of the billies and highways in the UK.. I cringe when I see advisory say, unable to inspect underside due protection being in place.. Utter plank who includes this or any other insignificant comments.. Need their biro sticking up their nose