Sign in to follow this  
GreenGiant

Ranty Friday 15 May

So, how do these SPECS work then?

You know, the yellow NPR cameras that are springing up around the motorway network, measuring your 'average' speed over set distances. 

You see, I'm beginning to wonder who the idiot really is. I originally thought (as per a rant a few weeks ago) that the right thing to do was to comply with the restrictions and obey the rules. And everyone else (usually driving either a van or a German-badged car) will deservedly pay the price for being stupid and ignoring the rules.

But I can't find anyone that has had a ticket/fine/ban for contravening these 'average' limits.

I also cannot seem to find how this system even works. So, I'd appreciate a bit of advice from some learned individuals please:

• I understand how the average speed is calculated from the timestamps taken when you pass each camera gantry, but where is the start and finish of the measurable distance? Is it the average between two specific cameras, or the average between the first and last ones you pass on your journey?
  • How many drivers are actually issued with Fixed Penalty Notices or summonses for breaking these limits?
  • Are these FPNs even enforceable? If you can prove that your actual 'average' speed for your entire journey is less than the limit imposed between two arbitrary points, surely you have a case?
  • If your average between cameras A and B is over the limit, but between B and C is under, thereby making your average between A and C at or below the limit, then what?
  • Why is there no information about this available anywhere? Apparently, the installers of the cameras are the only ones who know. This can't be right, can it?

So, I'm beginning to think that I am, indeed, the fool for wanting to do the right thing by complying and when I laugh at all the drivers speeding by me on the M6/M3/A1 etc etc, in actual fact, as there is no penalty for doing what they do, the laugh is on me!

Green giant , this couldn't be easier to find an answer, get in your car and do 100mph through a set of 50mph average speed cameras , then next Friday do a rant about the  fine and points you got .

• Like 2

I Have been told by one or two peple that they got caught on the average speed camera's on the M42 and I'm sure one of customers did tell me about one of teh road works last year ? as to how its calculated your guess is a s good as mine - as Jack says I'm sure you'll tell us after testing it your self :) !!

Green giant , this couldn't be easier to find an answer, get in your car and do 100mph through a set of 50mph average speed cameras , then next Friday do a rant about the  fine and points you got .

​I bet I still get overtaken by a nobhead in a Beemer...

• Like 1

I get what you say, but a blog on an insurance company's website (albeit by an apparently well-qualified legal expert) doesn't count as definitive.

The questions remain

Who is responsible for enforcement? How can a law be enforced when nobody seems to know what it is or how it applies?

A link to the relative legislation would be appreciated, thanks.

It seems that some of these cameras on the motorway are operated by the Highways Agency the ones in green casings and only used for monitoring trafic http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information/traffic-information-services/traffic-cameras/why-does-the-highways-agency-use-anpr/ or http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information/traffic-information-services/traffic-cameras/cameras-fair-processing-notice/

some are used and enforced by the council, some are used and enforced by private companies and some are used and enforced by the police. So it seems like whoever owns it enforces it. Can't find anything about legislation though but my sister's company uses's anpr for car park monitoring so I'll see if she can get me any information for you. 

and that's my point.

It's 2015. What happened to transparency and accountability? This just seems like a 'make it up as you go along' free-for-all.

If there was clear uniform information about what the legislation is, who is enforcing it, where, when and how it will be enforced and what the penalties are, I'd be OK with it and just jog on and get the hump with something else.

But I don't see that.