Sign in to follow this  
ExCouncilJobsworth

Who uses a dash cam?

I have used some cheapie ones in the past which packed up and i didn't buy one for few years.

I always knew i would get in accidents again and I did this Sept. Luckly (yes @boring dave ) the MILF admitted fault. 

It was a stock car.

So those of you that drive stock cars from auction sites do any of you guys use dash cams? Or do you use them for Personal cars?

I know for some it might be a pain plugging it in and out of cars and I know you cannot have one for every minute you drive (ie a 5 min drive to the MOT station) but its more for the longer runs.

Would love some reviews on some dash cams from you guys as i want to pick one up

Cheers

Edited by ExCouncilJobsworth

Dash cams and your car insurance

In the heat of the moment, even when you think you had a full view of the road, there are still times when we miss what really happened in an accident. A dash cam could be the answer in settling insurance disputes and claims, and may help you to improve the way you drive.

What's a dash cam?
They're in-car camera systems that make a video and audio recording of your journey. Public awareness of car cameras has increased and many insurance policies already accept dash cam evidence in the event of a car incident.

Some dash cams even include a parking mode, which starts recording whenever an impact is detected. If someone knocks a wing mirror or hits your car when they're parking and doesn't leave a note, you'll have a better chance of finding out what happened and who's responsible for the damage.

There are 3 main types of dash cam:

Front view cameras are among the best dash cams for capturing everything in front of you, مبل ویلایی including traffic you're following. They're the cheapest to buy, but lack the ability to see what's happened behind you.
Front and back view (or front and rear) dash cams offer the advantage of recording both the view in front and behind your car. Most accidents on the road happen at low speeds and involve rear-end collisions. Investing in a dash cam that offers both views could be worth the extra spend in case you're involved in an accident.
Cabin view car cameras provide you with a bird's eye view of what's happened inside your car. Mostly used in taxis and car services, it might be up your street if you share a car or maybe wish to check your own driving habits.
Why install a dash cam?
You've seen them on the news, crime programmes and some of the footage even goes viral on social media. And they're becoming increasingly popular with motorists in the UK. In fact, from research we carried out, dash cam ownership has gone from 1% to 15% in just 4 years.¹

They're an effective way to see how we and others drive and useful for finding out who was at fault in a car accident. And if you ever break down, dash cams can act as a GPS tracker which can help emergency services find you, and get you out of harm's way.

If you suspect you've been a victim of a crash for cash fraud, submitting dash cam evidence could help you be properly compensated and prevent it happening to others.

The police already use dash cam videos in their cars and the footage they record is often taken as evidence when prosecuting bad or dangerous drivers.

What's the difference between a dash cam and a car blackbox?
Both dash cams and a blackbox (or telematics box) provide valuable information about the journeys you make every day. While dash cams provide a visual record of your journey, a telematics box holds the data that shows your driving style.

The combined and widespread use of dash cams and black boxes in the future could help insurers in deciding your insurance premiums.

Dash cam and insurance policies
Many car accidents aren't clear cut. If there is any doubt over fault and if it's your word against theirs, footage recorded by a dash cam can help to resolve the dispute quickly. If the footage proves the other party was at fault, you may not have to pay your excess, or if you've already paid, your excess may be reimbursed.

The evidence could also help in protecting your no claims discount (NCD). As dash cams become more common, they could lower car insurance premiums, reduce theft and help deter insurance fraud.

Will a dash cam change the way I drive?
Maybe. As well as becoming more road-savvy, dash cams could also provide learner, new and returning سطل زباله drivers with priceless information on what they're doing behind the wheel.

If you're using the wrong lights or not keeping a safe enough distance from the car in front of you, a car camera could help you pick up on any bad driving habits and improve the standard of driving on our roads as a whole.

Dash cams are one of the most useful pieces of in-car technology, especially for those who spend a long time behind the wheel. Even if you're a careful and cautious driver, accidents can happen, and it can be difficult to resolve claims quickly without objective evidence.

Dash cam video recordings can help your insurer settle a claim stress and hassle free, leaving you to get on with the more important things in life.

Have we found the forum version of Alexa with the answer above?

in answer to the question, we run dashcams in our staff cars, we have a couple of different ones as they were purchased to trial for a client about 5 years ago.  

The market has changed a lot since then with Nextbase becoming the retail favourite.  To be fair when we were looking the client wanted the unit to be discreet so we avoided units with display screens as they thought people would steal them like Tom Toms but to date I have not heard of a dash cam theft.  This gave the problem that on occasion we needed the footage the camera had been knocked and was incorrectly angled making it useless.

The one I have got in my car is called a Mobius? They were around £50 a unit and to be fair it is very good quality and you would never know it was there.  I am not sure how well this unit would fair being taken in and out a lot as it is pretty much hard wired in behind the mirror.  

If it is a single unit and for ease of use as mentioned above the Nextbase unit seems to cover most requirements.

9 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

I have used some cheapie ones in the past which packed up and i didn't buy one for few years.

I always knew i would get in accidents again and I did this Sept. Luckly (yes @boring dave ) the MILF admitted fault. 

It was a stock car.

So those of you that drive stock cars from auction sites do any of you guys use dash cams? Or do you use them for Personal cars?

I know for some it might be a pain plugging it in and out of cars and I know you cannot have one for every minute you drive (ie a 5 min drive to the MOT station) but its more for the longer runs.

Would love some reviews on some dash cams from you guys as i want to pick one up

Cheers

Haven't got a dash cam myself although i keep meaning to get one. This guy is very clued up on them though and does good in depth reviews of them.....http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

2 hours ago, Contracts said:

To be fair when we were looking the client wanted the unit to be discreet so we avoided units with display screens as they thought people would steal them like Tom Toms but to date I have not heard of a dash cam theft.  This gave the problem that on occasion we needed the footage the camera had been knocked and was incorrectly angled making it useless.

Exactly my thoughts on screenless ones. Blackvieu (i believe it is called) has £400+ cameras they look good and good on paper but screenless. 

Anyhoo £400 is too much for a camera.

I know from my cheap ones the quality can deteriorate and reading number plates over time deteriorates!

I suppose thats my second question if anyone has noticed this too.

I agree on nextbase but their specs from camera to camera are very similar so am wondering apart from the price difference is there anything else that is different?

To be fair having viewed mine you can only see the plates of other cars clearly of you are behind them or they are in focus for a few seconds.  They are just handy as a back up as most detail is captured.

One of the companies we look after had their footage passed to the police and an insurance company following a driver hitting their van on a traffic light controlled roundabout.  The other person swears they did not go through a red light and our client had but the footage was clear enough to see our client was in the right.

Sadly being van drivers they do tend to be in the wrong most of the time.

I have 5 all in.       all run 32 gb as opposed to as 64as these seem to corrupt easier,I feel naked without one and unfortunately do have the title of having a vehicle broken into and the device stolen

I use them purely to keep my insurance hopefully lower in a claim situation and honestly don't even think about them on whendriving

Decided having mine on mute is best, in the event of a crash I don’t want my last moments being remembered as Car Karaoke to Radio 2...

5 hours ago, boring dave said:

I have 5 all in.       all run 32 gb as opposed to as 64as these seem to corrupt easier,I feel naked without one and unfortunately do have the title of having a vehicle broken into and the device stolen

I use them purely to keep my insurance hopefully lower in a claim situation and honestly don't even think about them on whendriving

What brand(s) do you have? Quality any good? 

Had a customer in a few months ago for a campbelt change on an A3. I told him it would be a 3 hr job at the very least. I wasn't around when he came to collect it later that evening. When he returned to pay the following day he was able to tell me exactly how long it took us to do the job! Thing had been recording everything from start to finish.

Mechanics need to be very careful, as not only is there footage being recorded but audio is also. 

21 minutes ago, Scooby who said:

Had a customer in a few months ago for a campbelt change on an A3. I told him it would be a 3 hr job at the very least. I wasn't around when he came to collect it later that evening. When he returned to pay the following day he was able to tell me exactly how long it took us to do the job! Thing had been recording everything from start to finish.

Mechanics need to be very careful, as not only is there footage being recorded but audio is also. 

Yes but it works both ways. 

A mechanic could be a cow boy or even take it for a thrashing aka test drive...

I did leave one in at a garage. And my view was confirmed that the garage is honest 

19 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Who uses a dash cam?

No for me, I'll be constantly incriminating myself.....

You have a side window cam, I’ve seen your videos

5 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

You have a side window cam, I’ve seen your videos

Yes, I use an iPhone for my videos

53 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Yes, I use an iPhone for my videos

No you dont!

Do you?

The video quality is epic. I thought it was a basic camcorder...

I know that even the basic of cameras are better quality than phone cameras...well in my experience anyway

23 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

No you dont!

Do you?

The video quality is epic. I thought it was a basic camcorder...

I know that even the basic of cameras are better quality than phone cameras...well in my experience anyway

Yes, iPhone 7 HD video using the iMovie app. 

21 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Who uses a dash cam?

No for me, I'll be constantly incriminating myself.....

Me neither, detest them with a passion..................

Too many wankers who want to grass up those of us who drive enthusiastically !! Let the bloody cops do what they are paid for, why make life easy for them ...............

Big Brother PAH !!

Also beware of the morons on Cycles with them on their silly helmets, mate of mine got reported by one of them eejits :rolleyes:

Remember, just because someone who is driving a fart box considers an overtake dangerous, doesn't mean it is if you are in a fast and decent car !!

Some fuckin' idiot in a Camper Van reported me to the local plod, he was doing well under 30 on a 60mph A Road which I know like the back of my hand, even the Cops thought it funny and were quite happy to admit that the footage doesn't take all the circumstances into account .................

Like in this instance the speed of the knob jockey being overtaken was not taken into account, yeah there was a van coming the other way, half a bloody mile away, but I also was back on my side of the road long before any point of possible impact !! The Van Driver didn't get excited like the pillock in the Camper who was honking and flashing :lol:

Camper Man was a total moron !!  

Thankfully the local Cops know me, know the road, know what some of these tourists are like etc etc, it would have probably resulted in me being well nicked if it was a city cop !!

45 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Me neither, detest them with a passion..................

Too many wankers who want to grass up those of us who drive enthusiastically !! Let the bloody cops do what they are paid for, why make life easy for them ...............

Big Brother PAH !!

Also beware of the morons on Cycles with them on their silly helmets, mate of mine got reported by one of them eejits :rolleyes:

Remember, just because someone who is driving a fart box considers an overtake dangerous, doesn't mean it is if you are in a fast and decent car !!

Some fuckin' idiot in a Camper Van reported me to the local plod, he was doing well under 30 on a 60mph A Road which I know like the back of my hand, even the Cops thought it funny and were quite happy to admit that the footage doesn't take all the circumstances into account .................

Like in this instance the speed of the knob jockey being overtaken was not taken into account, yeah there was a van coming the other way, half a bloody mile away, but I also was back on my side of the road long before any point of possible impact !! The Van Driver didn't get excited like the pillock in the Camper who was honking and flashing :lol:

Camper Man was a total moron !!  

Thankfully the local Cops know me, know the road, know what some of these tourists are like etc etc, it would have probably resulted in me being well nicked if it was a city cop !!

Cyclists do THIS for a living...

https://youtu.be/2PFRdEUN240

Wish this big boy dealt with cyclist. He sounds like a runt.

Well worth the watch you'll be cracking up

17 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Cyclists do THIS for a living...

https://youtu.be/2PFRdEUN240

Wish this big boy dealt with cyclist. He sounds like a runt.

Well worth the watch you'll be cracking up

LOL, nice one !!

Cyclists, don't get me started on Cyclists :angry::angry::angry:

I had one in Inverness last summer, rode up the N/S of my Car in traffic, I'm in the left lane because I'm turning left, and about 8" from the kerb !!

That's when he starts leaning on the Car bashing on the window and yelling that I'm in the wrong lane !!

I got out and told him to fuck off and when he pays Road Tax and has Insurance then I might listen to a twat !!

He was gonna report me, fuck all ever came of it because he was in the wrong, should have waited behind the Cars at the lights, rather than squeeze up the side of my Car and the 2 Cars behind me ;) 

Don't forget that in the event of an accident, your driving will also come under scrutiny. So watch out you budding F1 drivers!:D