Mark101

A Question I should know the Answer To

I taxed a car to use last month using the new keeper supplement (only a £30 er) but I have just sold the car and it is being collected tonight.

Do I need to tax it again, or will that tax carry over to the new owner (as I didn't change the V5 keeper details last time).

I can't see it being any different to when we "hold back" sending a V5 off for a few weeks in case of rejection.

TIA

Will he pay you the tax or are you throwing it in? 

Either way the tax will continue until the 12 months expire and the new owner will receive a reminder. In the future do it by direct debit, will cost you a couple of quid for a months use instead of £30 :-) Just cancel the DD after the sale and use the same V5C reference to tax it again. 

Mark, mmmmmmmm I would be careful, tax isn't transferable. DVLA will know the car was taxed prior to the new keepers purchase date but not taxed at the point of sale. I would be telling the billy to tax it themselves, its simply not worth the potential hassle over £30...

It is more the principal but my thoughts are the same as yours AD, it's not like it's a £550 Range RFL.

Customer is paying for the tax anyway, was just hoping to save £30 but probably not worth the risk as you say.

Thanks chaps

4 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

DVLA will know the car was taxed prior to the new keepers purchase date but not taxed at the point of sale

"Excuse me, I will pay you the deposit now but will travel to collect in two weeks. Would you mind taxing the car for me in advance to save some time on the day as I will be travelling long distance"

Of course Mr Customer, we will be happy to tax it for you today, no problem. I will add the £30 cost to your invoice. 

17 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Will he pay you the tax or are you throwing it in? 

Either way the tax will continue until the 12 months expire and the new owner will receive a reminder. In the future do it by direct debit, will cost you a couple of quid for a months use instead of £30 :-) Just cancel the DD after the sale and use the same V5C reference to tax it again. 

I don't think you can DD £30 RFL, it's one off only.

You might be pleasantly surprised. 

My own car is LS64YRZ, logbook ref 2 8101 672 0598, check it. 

Wow, who needs to spread £30 over a year - oh yes, most of my customer's :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Wow, who needs to spread £30 over a year - oh yes, most of my customer's :rolleyes:

lol

7 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Wow, who needs to spread £30 over a year

If a dealer that has the need to tax their stock it's a nice little loophole. Tax 15 cars per month for the price of a single trade MOT. 

55 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I taxed a car to use last month using the new keeper supplement (only a £30 er) but I have just sold the car and it is being collected tonight.

Do I need to tax it again, or will that tax carry over to the new owner (as I didn't change the V5 keeper details last time).

I can't see it being any different to when we "hold back" sending a V5 off for a few weeks in case of rejection.

TIA

Agree with customer to backdate v5 reg doc new details date from last month when u taxed it and congragulate him on 11 months free road tax.

19 minutes ago, Ek cars said:

Agree with customer to backdate v5 reg doc new details date from last month when u taxed it and congragulate him on 11 months free road tax.

and wait for the fine :lol: and the parking tickets and the knock on the door at 3 in morning cos its knocked someone over :wacko:

Messing or manipulating the taxation process in my book isn’t worth it, it’s very muddy waters.

The ownership on taxing is the new keepers at the point of purchase and prior to driving off. 

If the customer asked  you to tax the car prior to collection, tell them you can, it’ll only take a minute, but only do it but only on the day of collection. 

KIS.....

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Messing or manipulating the taxation process in my book isn’t worth it, it’s very muddy waters.

The ownership on taxing is the new keepers at the point of purchase and prior to driving off. 

If the customer asked  you to tax the car prior to collection, tell them you can, it’ll only take a minute, but only do it but only on the day of collection. 

Like.

We usually do it as part of handover, makes life easy for billy...they're paying retail for assistance and convenience. 

On the topic, i've heard a lot of talk about people getting their DD's declined online if they're taxing multiple vehicles over a period of time on the same debit card. I assume to deter home traders taxing everything monthly and parking it in the local streets. Not sure how much truth is in it, could just be Chinese trade whispers. 

I've got multiple cars on DD (mine, wifes, 2nd cars, kids, etc), all OK though it's a bank account not debit card. The £30 mini is also on monthly, purely as it's simpler for budgeting and means no hassles refunds needed if we sell it. The £30 Mini replaced a £500 Merc, that was a nice change :)