Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Your favourite haggling approach...

7 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I haven't. For years. I buy everything online these days. Excluding food.

I always want to use a promo code, a deal code, a voucher code etc and sometimes will not buy if a code or a deal or a voucher is not available. I wanted a new bookcase for the office recently, it was £390 which I wouldn't mind paying. The store (including online) had a promotion "5% off everything" which specifically excluded that bookcase and a couple of other items so guess what: no new bookcase for me just yet. I know it's irrational but then so are most of our buyers :-)))

The point of my post was that companies like Currys/PC World have the latest trendy sales techniques. I am always watching and listening to how they handle people to maximise spending. I rarely agree with how they handle people, and obviously used cars are a very different commodity to a camera, but people handling is the same.

8 hours ago, EPV said:

I think 95% of the people that come to see my cars have probably bought it in their mind and they feel they have to make a cursory attempt at getting a discount.

Thats the same as us. Nice and simple.

Actually, it is very rare that we do have someone ask about a discount.

I have asked people in the past that have asked, 'what on the car needs doing to justify that discount?' - Have never had anyone answer anything other than 'nothing'

One woman once misinterpreted the question and we got her life story about her recent divorce and horrible ex husband!

We don't like people asking about discount on the phone... We don't discuss pricing without viewing sir/madam... Would you like to arrange a viewing?... I call you back.... Still waiting :rolleyes:

I do discount some cars. As long as i am happy with my bottom line on the car then its another deal done.

Yes i may wait a fortnight and get another £200 for the car but i would rather buy another and sell another in that timescale.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:31 PM, lastyboy said:

I do discount some cars. As long as i am happy with my bottom line on the car then its another deal done.

Yes i may wait a fortnight and get another £200 for the car but i would rather buy another and sell another in that timescale.

If asked for a discount then depending the cars interest I might tell them the car is well priced but i can give them £50 off for a full tank of fuel. If not happy with that then i dont mind chipping £100 off if 1)i think they are going to walk and 2) its a sticker of a car that I'd like rid of. I'm sure I earn less margin than most of you on here ,but its enough for me and the customer always feels like they have won if they get a small discount.

28 minutes ago, Mistermuttley said:

If asked for a discount then depending the cars interest I might tell them the car is well priced but i can give them £50 off for a full tank of fuel. If not happy with that then i dont mind chipping £100 off if 1)i think they are going to walk and 2) its a sticker of a car that I'd like rid of. I'm sure I earn less margin than most of you on here ,but its enough for me and the customer always feels like they have won if they get a small discount.

Agree with this 100%

11 hours ago, Mistermuttley said:

If I have spent a lot of time ensuring the car is priced well to begin with and prepped it so that it is in excellent condition for the age and mileage I would rather hold out for someone to pay me what I want for it. I sell on our service, reputation and after care and hold firm for the asking price where ever I can. 

Discounts are still few and far between. However if someone wants to buy a CLA220 from us you can have a discount because I have had them in stock for ages :lol: