Sign in to follow this  
P118

MERCEDES-BENZ A150 1.5 CVT

Evening all, never had dealings with the Mercedes A150 Auto are they any good or stay clear? 

things to look out for?

Thanks in advance :)

4 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

German crap at its finest. Gearbox issues. 

Been meaning to ask, what do you sell? 

I like mainly autos: Nissan Note, Modus, Micra, Jag XF, most Volvos, Prius, CRV, i10’s, Sirion even, Terios, Ford Fusions, Kangoos, Berlingos, (the odd WAV), Petrol estates, like Subaru Lebacy etc..the odd lumpy luxury stuff or modern classic...

Much as I hate the German stuff I will buy the odd three series cab auto if petrol and nice spec/miles and less often an SLK. Don’t mind a Crossfire..I dunno. Hate them all if I’m honest ;o)

(I keep looking at those horrid BMW electric things Nick buys, when I’m looking through Manheim, and have a compulsion to buy one weirdly.)

Edited by NOACROSS

I like that. I want to buy more suv’s and crossovers but I couldn’t buy Fusions, Kangoos. My soul would die a little each time I got in one. People say “don’t buy what you like buy what sells” but fuck that. I’m not alive long enough to do that. I’ll find what sells and what I like looking at/driving. I do love a Jag XF. Like driving a sofa. 

There again, I find e92 BMW’s sell very well for me but they are shit. I seem to have 1 in 3 with a low pressure oil issue.  Another one today. Less alarming when you’ve seen it all before. 

Certain A3’s fly out for me, 1.8 and 2.0 black edition tfsi or 3.2 Quattros when I can find them. I couldn’t sell Hyundai or Dacias for example. I don’t care if they are faultless cars and never come back. I have to have some enjoyment in what I ask  

*sell 

Ha yes, I used to be the same. You’re right and you’re still able to enjoy the junk, so keep it up!  

As you know, German stuff really grinds my gears. I just see them as ‘tins of beans on the shelf’ unfortunately now. I very rarely get in a car and think ‘this is nice’. Long as I can get the dogs in and it’s auto I’m happy!

8 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Ha yes, I used to be the same. You’re right and you’re still able to enjoy the junk, so keep it up!  

As you know, German stuff really grinds my gears. I just see them as ‘tins of beans on the shelf’ unfortunately now. I very rarely get in a car and think ‘this is nice’. Long as I can get the dogs in and it’s auto I’m happy!

There’s plenty of people that don’t want a flashy German saloon but plenty that do. Both demands need supplying :)

Every tale of woe on here will most often be a German and usually a German diesel. 

When you’ve forked out for numerous ,DMFs, auto gearboxes, plastic swirl-flap swallowing engines, phantom EMLs, motorised vents, unrealistic VW punters, Audi dash pods and so on, you’ll soon work it out. They are not built like they used to be. Dreadful build quality. Style over substance  

Anyway, I should be given a finite number of times I can slag German junk and Autoraper each month on here before being sent to the corner.... :o)

9 minutes ago, zakh92 said:

Why don't you like German cars? Passats and Golfs are solid cars imo 

My theory on cars is the more you drive them or if you drive them enough, they are gold.

Most people buy cars that sit on the drive that's when the problems start, not driving the car enough 

I have an auntie who'll never go above 50 or 60 max likes desiel cars for mpg and always has dpf issues on cars shes bought in the past, I tell her you have to rag them cars every once in a while and really let the car roar but she won't listen :lol: 

Minimum dealer package with AT is 5+2 cars. So 7. You’ll be paying £2.8k for 16 cars. 

8 hours ago, zakh92 said:

What if I only advertise one car with them but I have 15 others of the same car and set up my own website :lol:

2.8k?? EFFFFFFFF THAT lol I never expected it to be that high, I was thinking roughly 600-700 pounds, bloody hell 

Do they not have another competitor that offers the same service but at a better value for the dealers? 

No wonder dealers hate them

I recently bought a car from sascron supermarket, avoid like the plague btw, and the salesman told me the company roughly spends around 40-50k a month JUST to advertise on AT!

Also previous year I bought another car and the salesman asked me where I found their advert from and I said AT and I could see the hate in his eyes he felt for that company :lol: 

Now I know why it's called AUTORAPER :lol::lol: 

Dealers don’t hate AT. Some people do. Lots like AT because they provide the most leads of any advertising platform. 

I like AT, it is my best value platform for ROI.  I wish it was cheaper, of course I do (especially when it is quiet).  But when I have made £8-10k in a month gross, 10% allocated to advertising seems reasonable - without advertising I would have sold nowt.

There are far worse burdens on my margin than AT and they’ll never go away - VAT margin scheme being the most obvious.  It pissed me off first time around and it’s pissing me off now.

Having said that, if I wasn’t VAT reg, my unit would be costing me 20% more, so swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, zakh92 said:

True it does pay for itself but hey ho 

Why isn’t no one competing with them on a national level? All other competitors seem to make crappy websites and apps and wonder why no one uses them 

AT have really knuckled down on the interface and end user experience, that’s why they are so popular 

I looked at their tax returns and they seem to be milking it 

can’t us likeminded people band together and provide the same service for a more competitive price for dealers? 

Sorry mate this just reads like a load of woolly nonsense. 

9 million people visit AT every month. 

How can a group of dealers (who’s prior concern is providing a living for themselves by selling vehicles) “band together” and get 9 million people to stop looking at one household named platform and start looking at another?

Its not going to happen is it?

You either suck it up, play the game and pay AT’s fees and reap the rewards or, you do as others have done and make a life for themselves outside of AT. 

5 minutes ago, zakh92 said:

Without sounding horrible and I mean no offence by this but with that mentality you’ll stay as you are 

An example of what I’m saying is look at Blockbusters, they were big and mighty in their day and when netflix approached them for a deal Blockbusters laughed at them, now look who’s laughing 

And the guy who started netflix started from his house and now look where he is 

You’re not causing offence at all mate, we’re all grown ups. 

You’re likening the advent of the internet impacting significantly on a business (blockbuster) and suggesting we “band together” and do exactly what AT do so very, very well, with our own version of AT. But cheaper. 

What AT have done for years and continue to do costs millions each year in R&D and they are always looking to provide new data to dealers to use for their own edge in this business. 

Do you still think we can “band together” as likeminded people and offer the same thing as AT do but for cheaper? 

Many have tried and spent lots of money trying and haven’t got it cracked just yet. Motors, EMP, Car Gurus. All trying to do what AT do but cheaper but not quite managing it. 

I don’t like their fees but I do like the leads they provide me. It allows me to run a business and do what I please. Would I like it cheaper? Sure. But if I wanted it cheaper I would do like Noacross does and make it work outside of AT. 

Let me know how your revolution goes though. Be warned, you’ll need deep pockets (millions) to knock AT from their perch. Obviously you’ll recoup your losses from charging dealers a lot less than AT. 

No offense, etc etc 

2 hours ago, zakh92 said:

No offence taken buddy :) 

Agree with 100% with your opinion 

This is why I’m going to stick my fingers in 2 or 3 pies and keep busy, work around the clock and only take Sunday evenings off 

How long have you been selling just out of curiosity? 

Not long at all, since the start of the year. 

2 hours ago, zakh92 said:

True it does pay for itself but hey ho 

Why isn’t no one competing with them on a national level? All other competitors seem to make crappy websites and apps and wonder why no one uses them 

AT have really knuckled down on the interface and end user experience, that’s why they are so popular 

I looked at their tax returns and they seem to be milking it 

can’t us likeminded people band together and provide the same service for a more competitive price for dealers? 

AT benefit from a 'free market economy' as we all do? Why punish them for making a profit, they are just a business not moral arbiters?

3 minutes ago, zakh92 said:

I'm all for a free market 

I'm not saying punish them, I just want a piece of the pie ;) 

'Free market' means just that?

1 hour ago, zakh92 said:

Sorry the question mark at the end threw me off.

What do you mean? 

He means you can get your piece of the pie because it’s a free market. 

Whining about another business’ profits because it means you have to pay more than you like is just that. Whining. Sour grapes. 

AT charge dealers high prices and make very good profits. So what. Good for them. You don’t have to use their platform, plenty don’t. 

• Like 1

Well, you could always try other platforms. Plenty do well without AT. I tried and I couldn’t but that’s just me. Try things for yourself. 

5 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I like AT, it is my best value platform for ROI.  I wish it was cheaper, of course I do

+1 BUT I don't wish it was cheaper. 

If it was cheaper A LOT more private sellers and dealerships would be on it so it would instantly become less effective. Would I pay a bit more for a more effective platform? F*** yeah! 

Some pay £50K per year to their salesmen but complain about £20K per year to AT which can really open up a market in a way that no living salesman can.

P.S. Unrelated (or it might be): I just ordered a potty-trainer for my daughter online. It's past midday and the delivery is guaranteed for this evening. In 5-6 years time we will sell at least half of our used cars in this way. No salesman at all. If you fancy effective nationwide online advertising of course. 

5 hours ago, zakh92 said:

Many thought along the same lines, tried and failed to even gain a tenth of the response. 

CarGurus would kill them: Errrr, no. 

Facebook will put the final nail in their coffin: It didn't.

Findandfundmycar.com will be the solution to all our problems: People are already forgetting it. 

Motors has a nice interface and is a tenth of the price: They do and they are and they only provide a tenth of the response. 

Use an advertiser that works, not one that is cheap. Same for any provider really. 

Edited by Nick M.K.