Marc

Buying from a cowboy

54 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

What’s the thought process behind this? I’m assuming it doesn’t have tax and he thinks by parking it in a supermarket car park he’ll get away with it? Wrong, that’s the first place Dvla look! 

Doesn't want the neighbors seeing what he's up to probably?

8 minutes ago, met said:

If he’s acting like a private seller in disguise then surly he doesn’t give a shit about the neighbours? 

5 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

If he’s acting like a private seller in disguise then surly he doesn’t give a shit about the neighbours? 

Probably doesn't, but he still can't do what he wants. There's only so many times you can be seen in the street selling a car before someone notices. Then anonimous tip off to landlord, council etc or he gets his cars 'egged' 'keyed' it's all hassle for him at the end of the day

3 minutes ago, met said:

Probably doesn't, but he still can't do what he wants. There's only so many times you can be seen in the street selling a car before someone notices. Then anonimous tip off to landlord, council etc or he gets his cars 'egged' 'keyed' it's all hassle for him at the end of the day

True. 

Plus he won’t want anyone knocking on his door when it does bang 2 miles down the road 

On 08/09/2018 at 9:17 PM, EPV said:

Absolutely. But you need to buy from privates. Not people who have bought a car from an auction, marked it up by £300 and struggled to sell it. Now we can see why he has struggled to sell it but for me the alarm bells were ringing on that one a long way from home. 

I like buying off privates as you can get good stock as you say. But one of my preliminary questions when I ring the seller is “is the v5 in your name?” and if the answer isn’t yes then it’s always “nah I bought the car a few months back and just didn’t transfer the name over to mine” or “nah it’s my aunties car innit” then the conversation is terminated. It doesn’t matter how cheap the car is, there will be something wrong with the car, the seller, or both. Plenty of cars out there to buy. 

Sensible advice if you can be arsed sifting through the shitheads to find the few genuine sellers.

On 08/09/2018 at 9:48 PM, met said:

He won’t give a f***. What these types are scared off is comeback from a rough customer when then car inevitably goes ‘pop’.

The margins are nice and fat when you do find em!