Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Are Diesels dying?

As more and more members of the public are becoming wise to the "Diesel of Death" DPF/Injector/Turbo failure and petrol prices now fallen are diesels sales falling? We are seeing this more recently as petrols are bouncing back. Have you noticed anything?

Yes, we have seen this, we hate selling diesels as the majority mainly fords, if come back cost us a fortune. We are 98% petrol now!

I have noticed the same. I have also noticed that people aren't too bothered about low tax. They couldn't care whether it is £30 or £145 . I still try and wow them with the fact, but they aren't bothered. I reckon it is a combination of the knowledge of potential problems with diesels like TML says and also DVLA accepting monthly direct debits as payment.

I think the diesel con is finally unraveled, I remember accompanying a friend to a ford dealer to order a new focus, the salesman was so insistent we take the tdci he said nobody buys petrol and it would be worth significantly less at retail time!

all i hear are tales of woe from customers who are finally realising that modern diesels arent like they were and are basically money pits once out of dealer warranties,i dont look at diesels for retail because i self warrant so dont want the hassles

The majority of my stock is diesel, has been for some time and I can't see it really changing. On certain types of car I do buy the odd petrol (which I admit is worry free and a breath of fresh air, apart from Vauxhall) but here in North Wales folk still want 50mpg with little road tax and forget about the real cost of achieving this. Then you have  those that are upgrading from a diesel, the chances of them switching to petrol is a likely as a Man Utd player going to Liverpool. The more dealers switching to petrol the better as far as I'm concerned.

It does also depend on the kind of cars you are selling, not many people want a petrol 4x4 or a petrol estate car these types mostly go for a diesel. 

Some people are just obsessed with diesels, especially foreigners , most of the time when they walk on site and walk up to a car the first thing they ask. " is it diesel ",

Perhaps they get cheap diesel or run em on red ... Who knows.