Sign in to follow this  
tradegirl

Skoda Yeti grinding noise after air con regas.

Hi everyone. 2011 Yeti 1.6 TDI, took it for a regas and it developed a grinding noise (which increases with revs). It stops when the air con is turned ON.

It's the same intermittent grinding you get with worn brakes. Happens at idle too, and you can hear it when driving. As soon as you turn the air con on it stops.

It didn't have this prior to the regas though even with the fans and air con button pressed. (though we only had the car for a couple of days to be fair) But in any case I'd driven it immediately before the regas with no noise and immediately after the regas it started grinding.

Any ideas? At least it's not the engine though, thank God!

Edited by tradegirl

AC pump perhaps. Where is the noise coming from? 

1 hour ago, EPV said:

AC pump perhaps. Where is the noise coming from? 

EPV, you can hear it inside the cabin, but not in the engine bay.
It's the exact same as in this video. 
Will run the car around though with the AC on and see if something changes. Not sure what or why, but worth a go I guess. Maybe using the AC will "oil things up" a bit.

I had something with an A4 avant, there’s a fan/motor behind the glovebox somewhere, when that turbine/motor becomes off centre it can make a noise similar to what you are saying, comes on with AC off and vice versa. 

Can’t be more specific than that as i’m no mechanic but it was something that couldn’t be heard from the engine bay but from the cabin and would start/stop when the AC was switched on/off. Could be worth starting there. Obviously this isn’t s diy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EPV said:

I had something with an A4 avant, there’s a fan/motor behind the glovebox somewhere, when that turbine/motor becomes off centre it can make a noise similar to what you are saying, comes on with AC off and vice versa. 

Can’t be more specific than that as i’m no mechanic but it was something that couldn’t be heard from the engine bay but from the cabin and would start/stop when the AC was switched on/off. Could be worth starting there. Obviously this isn’t s diy. 

Thank you, I appreciate that. I'll have the mechanic take a look at it and hopefully it's not an expensive fix!

Good old VW. The old Estelle’s never made funny A/C noises.

54 minutes ago, BHM said:

Good old VW. The old Estelle’s never made funny A/C noises.

BHM...what's an Estelle? I'll take whatever chance I can to feel young, and I just took it!

7 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Wasn't the Estelle cabrio also known as a skip?

Never had noisy A/C though.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Never had noisy A/C though.

That’s correct, however it did have a state of the art HRW to keep your hands warm.. 

im still looking for the catch to open the boot up on the estelle ,im sure its not a dealer only option

the yeti problem.........

glue the aircon button in the off position with superglue

tell customer you have had system refilled and it holds pressure but you cannot ascertain why it wont work

fill sales invoice------------ in aircon not working at   pos get customer to sign invoice and pdi as usual

paint back windows black to keep the greenhouse effect down inside;)

Edited by mrs maybe

52 minutes ago, mrs maybe said:

Hahaha, this was funny. 

Better solution is to let some gas out of the valve so the system pressure drops and the A/C compressor stops coming on. Then tell the customer that "it probably needs a regas but might be something else" and put on PDI that aircon system does not work. 

Had the exact same problem last month with a high mileage p/x Honda Jazz (was very annoyed with myself for refilling the aircon) but it was so hot I preferred to sell it with a working albeit noisy A/C. Buyer was OK with it, I did put on the PDI Aircon pump noisy. 

Edited by Nick M.K.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mrs maybe said:

the yeti problem.........

tell customer you have had system refilled and it holds pressure but you cannot ascertain why it wont work

fill sales invoice------------ in aircon not working at   pos get customer to sign invoice and pdi as usual

paint back windows black to keep the greenhouse effect down inside;)

Where there's a will, there's a way! You're like the MacGyver of cars.

Any other tricks?