Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Scratch Repair

Do you guys not worry about using 2k? Personally, I wouldn't use 2k without proper equipment. 

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Do you guys not worry about using 2k? Personally, I wouldn't use 2k without proper equipment. 

Why? 

Because it contains isocyanates, you don't want that getting on your skin ,hate to think of the effect on lungs. 

18 hours ago, EPV said:

Depending on what I'm repairing, I quite often just leave the paint touch in as it is, a couple of thin layers takes the eye off. If you're repairing deep scratches I'd be cleaning the scratch out with alcohol, fibreglass pen, couple of layers of primer, then paint. 

Personally I either wetsand and compound to reduce the appearance of scratches or drop a few thin layers of paint in carefully and leave as is. Both techniques take the eye off. I do all of these things and not one person yet has said "hmm there's a scratch here"

Thanks for the reply :-)

I think next time I'll prime as it was a deep scratch.

I've applied lacquer over the scratch and scrape off later.

I think I'll end up getting the panel painted but I am not giving up on perfecting with this tool! :-)

Which primer would you use with OEM paint bought from the dealers?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, michelin said:

Thanks for the reply :-)

I think next time I'll prime as it was a deep scratch.

I've applied lacquer over the scratch and scrape off later.

I think I'll end up getting the panel painted but I am not giving up on perfecting with this tool! :-)

Which primer would you use with OEM paint bought from the dealers?

Thanks

For a proper job, primer has to be specific to the top coat (there isn't a one fits all).

However, for touch ins, try ACID8 or similar etch primer, required when preparing for paint over bare metal.

21 hours ago, Marc said:

Because it contains isocyanates, you don't want that getting on your skin ,hate to think of the effect on lungs. 

Just put a twin mask on, and disposable overall on you'll be fine, could cause skin irritation or asthma(and that's being expose to it many years) but then again so can many other things we use in daily life, have you seen half the Shit the put/spray on our food and drinks nowadays, and as for the fumes the lads breathe in at auctions everday. 

There is no known case of isocyanate used in paints causing cancer! But they are the biggest cause of occupational asthma in the UK. To confuse the two may cause someone to overlook the classic early symptoms of asthma – wheezing, breathlessness and tightness of the chest. This means they don't seek medical attention and the problems at work that are leading to exposure aren't put right because they are unlikely to link their symptoms to work. See the HSE/BCF worker's leaflet "Breathing isocyanate paint mist causes asthma PDF" and get more information on the asthma webpages.

4 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Just put a twin mask on, and disposable overall on you'll be fine, could cause skin irritation or asthma(and that's being expose to it many years) but then again so can many other things we use in daily life, have you seen half the Shit the put/spray on our food and drinks nowadays, and as for the fumes the lads breathe in at auctions everday. 

Sorry but this is such bad advice. You need an air fed mask run from a separate compressor well away from the spray area. Normal face masks don't protect from Isocyanates.  5 minutes without an air fed mask will cause tight chest and wheezing a couple of days later.  Be careful.

2 hours ago, MOTORS said:

Sorry but this is such bad advice. You need an air fed mask run from a separate compressor well away from the spray area. Normal face masks don't protect from Isocyanates.  5 minutes without an air fed mask will cause tight chest and wheezing a couple of days later.  Be careful.

I should of clarified for occasional use with a twin mask like I use will be fine, if your in a spray booth everyday then yes air fed is the way. 1k acrylic paint is just at bad. We all use health, beauty, cleaning products, and stand in an auction hall without a mask, yet they can trigger asthma and all sorts of problems. 

28 minutes ago, NoMargin said:

I should of clarified for occasional use with a twin mask like I use will be fine, if your in a spray booth everyday then yes air fed is the way. 1k acrylic paint is just at bad. We all use health, beauty, cleaning products, and stand in an auction hall without a mask, yet they can trigger asthma and all sorts of problems. 

Just to clarify though, a twin mask will not filter Isocyanates.

I can vouch for that /\ /\ /\ 

I've just got back into Paintwork as the only paint shop that was any good for 70 mile Radius has stopped Bodywork, his painter left because the Garage is up for sale.

So last week I started having a practice, on my Resto Project Merc, I Painted the Bootlid, a light metallic Blue.

Not a bad job as I haven't pained for years, couple of lacquer runs, but let it harden and razor bladed them, I will not need to do it again, just letting it harden before flatting and polishing,

I was coughing and wheezing for a couple of days after, never normally do, and I had used a normal filter type Mask, made my eyes itchy for a coupleof days too.

Has gone away now !!

I just bought a Honeywell Air Fed Mask kit and a bunch of tear off visors ;)

Will be painting the rest of it in between other jobs soon now, as I've got my wrist back in tune :D

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

I just bought a Honeywell Air Fed Mask kit and a bunch of tear off visors ;)

Don't forget to feed the air fed mask from a separate compressor with 3-stage filters way outside the paint zone, otherwise you'll still be breathing in isocyanates from the paint area courtesy of the local compressor...

Thanks for that, luckily my compressor is in it's own house outside, and I've just installed traps filters etc ;)