Sign in to follow this  
have a word with the wife

so, we dont take bids ? but do we bid ourselves ?

so, we dont take bids ? but do we bid ourselves ? when your buying, do you bid less? just last week , i did, was buying tools, asked for a discount, i do it whenever i am spending cash, new tv ? discount ! anything, discount! new or second hand, if i think there's a opportunity, then yes, not piss takingly low, and not if i think the price is good or the seller is struggling ! 

• Like 1

Personally it wouldn’t enter my head to walk into Curry’s and ask for a discount on a new custard. Or a hammer in b&q. I might do if the goods were damaged but then I probably wouldn’t buy a damaged brand new telly. 

1 minute ago, EPV said:

Personally it wouldn’t enter my head to walk into Curry’s and ask for a discount on a new custard. Or a hammer in b&q. I might do if the goods were damaged but then I probably wouldn’t buy a damaged brand new telly. 

I’m trying to work out how you got to custard from something Currys might sell..

29 minutes ago, c_cars said:

I’m trying to work out how you got to custard from something Currys might sell..

Custard and jelly = Telly

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Thank you! B)

No. I’m not originally from a car retail (or any sort of retail) background and still believe if you think the price is right for a given article then pay without quibble. 

That’s probably why I’m a shit salesman, I sell cars but I’m certainly no car salesman - my negotiation generally centres on ‘yes’ or ‘no’. I know to the penny what I have in every car before a punter turns up so those cars I want away I decide pre-sale the bottom-line, but my good sellers I won’t budge a penny.

I’ve seen other members of the motor trade haggling over £25, or trying to give a painter £80 for a £90 job - I wouldn’t f***ing embarrass myself. “That’s the price of sod off” is my mentality.

There are too many with double standards in this world and tbh there just as many horrible greedy c***s in this industry as there are in the general public. 

7 hours ago, Stalker said:

Surely, it’s jelly and custard.... apple pie and custard... treacle tart and custard... etc etc

32 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Surely, it’s jelly and custard.... apple pie and custard... treacle tart and custard... etc etc

Oooooohhhh aaaarrrrr traaaaacc’rrrrr

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

You are thinking rationally, rational doesn't come into cockney rhyming slang. :D

8 minutes ago, Stalker said:

You are thinking rationally, rational doesn't come into cockney rhyming slang. :D

I know... then I started thinking “custard tart” which ruined the rationality :wacko:

21 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Well actually it does, there is a perfectly rational reason for 'true' cockney rhyming slang. But it means something different in todays society, more like 'sentence embelishments' for wanna-be cockney's Eg danny dyer, mike brewer et al

Did you know that originally, calling someone a 'cockney' was offensive. Much like the 'N' word for people of colour or the 'Y' word for people of a certain faith?

11 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

so, we dont take bids ? but do we bid ourselves ? when your buying, do you bid less? just last week , i did, was buying tools, asked for a discount, i do it whenever i am spending cash, new tv ? discount ! anything, discount! new or second hand, if i think there's a opportunity, then yes, not piss takingly low, and not if i think the price is good or the seller is struggling ! 

Interesting point. For those that have selling prices 'set in stone' are their P/x prices where the discounts are applied?

Edited by met

Met, I quite often use margin in the outgoing car to offer more on a PX. It doesn’t matter how it’s sliced and diced I suppose but people feel like they’re getting something if they get more for their PX. Besides I always pitch a PX priced a couple of hundred below. Nothing ground breaking here i’m sure everyone does the same. 

6 hours ago, EPV said:

Met, I quite often use margin in the outgoing car to offer more on a PX. It doesn’t matter how it’s sliced and diced I suppose but people feel like they’re getting something if they get more for their PX. Besides I always pitch a PX priced a couple of hundred below. Nothing ground breaking here i’m sure everyone does the same. 

I price keenly on family cars but more optimistically on rarer stuff, 4x4s etc. Where my prices are keen the punter is offered trade money only for their p/x and, as in the case two hours ago, scrap money (£100) if I deem the car to be a shed.

2 hours ago; Man with a 55 plate Mazda 3 with a 2ltr petrol engine, rusty arches hanging off the car, I didn’t even enquire about miles or MOT - it’s £100 to my eyes & if it’s better than scrap I’m quids in, if not it’ll eBay for a drink. The man started talking about me (me!!) repairing all 4 arches for £300ish.........I said no chance, I wouldn’t waste my time on an old shitter that nobody will want anyway - he seems to think old Mazda 3s are gold dust. A shame cos give me a nice Mazda 6 any day of the week.

I recently bought an 98S E55 off ebay, guy had it up fro 5k Classified. I bid him £4100 no more, he even dilivered it for £150 and I paid only after fully inspecting. It was far better than his advert, only done 97k and came with a 3" history file. The interior is mint, everything works, the only thing was it had been vandal scratched and needed a shed load of paint (very minor rust) and completely solid underneath. Its in for paint at £800, the complete front end, both sides and the boot...... It will be the best in the UK when done.... 

The point I'm making is when buying, I bid in their nuts.....But, when selling the price is the price on mine :)