Sign in to follow this  
trade vet

Auctions...how much do they charge big vendors

I was talking to a ‘connected ‘ guy last week and he appeared to confirm what we thought, that many of them pay nothing at all.Aparently the big auction groups might have contracts that guarantee vendors 95% of Cap Clean for each entry.That may appear high risk and a good deal for the vendors, but as a conspiracy theory maybe not if the auctions can control Cap prices.As most stuff now goes above Cap Clean ,it makes you wonder what is really going on.What happens to the auctions if the Cap guys wake up.

I asked similar a few weeks back and the consensus was exactly that, the big boys pay nothing. 

Probably right, always wondered where the prices come from in the hall (starting bids that is) most seem to be CAP clean, even for some real tut.. then they get a bid, £2k lower, the auctioneers face says it all, they know youre looking at them as they (in even trying at CAP clean) are taking the proverbial...

Something must be working, looking at the last Q profits! If they are doing this, then the others must be forcing them too or the other way around..

I could well believe it, years ago they were on about £30 per car so allowing for even more competition (especially online auctions) then it’s very possibly £zero nowadays. 

On 14/07/2018 at 10:09 PM, trade vet said:

but as a conspiracy theory maybe not if the auctions can control Cap prices.As most stuff now goes above Cap Clean ,it makes you wonder what is really going on.What happens to the auctions if the Cap guys wake up.

I’ve often wondered how/why the CAP figures haven’t increased when, of a particular car, ever car makes clean or above clean money - think Discoveries, Wranglers etc., never seen one at average money.