Sign in to follow this  
Del Boy

Buying Privately

I buy all my stock from auction. However I’ve recently seen a few potential bargains on Facebook etc. 

I bought a couple privately 3/4 years ago but remember having a breakdown in relationship with the seller when I told them I was a trader. They were reluctant to sell, and certainly wouldn’t move on the price. 

Any advice you guys can give on this matter? 

Done exactly this, this morning. Worked out a bargain price over Gumtree (clearly stating that if he missed anything I would knock him down on price again), turned up, car exactly as described (if not better) and handed over the cash, then filled out the yellow bit on the v5 and went on my merry way.

I have had other people telling me to get lost after saying I'm a dealer (not as a smart arse comment, more to assure the seller that I can be there in an hour with cash ready to take away.)

I have no idea why people refuse to sell to a trader, maybe because they know you'll sell it for a better price than they ever could, and that makes them envious?  I think if they're going to be like that, they're just hung up on money. Its best just to move on and find the next car, no point wasting your energy in trying to convince them! 

the answer is to kick them hard dont tell  them you are a trader and once paid do the log book formalities online,you will get a new fresh log book in days and then you can tell the next punter you bought it for the wife but she doesnt like the colour engine shape tyres etc etc

see simples

where theres a dolla theres a way

remember though not to tell them you voted brexit :lol:

• Like 1

In my experience people prefer it when you’re a trader as they think you’re more serious and competent in dealing with it all. 

Just tell them, you might lose the odd one but so what. 

• Like 2

I'm buying more and more off Autotrader and Car Supermarkets lately. Buying far better stuff than off Dealer Auction or BCA and cheaper too. I have bought a few retail cars directly off main dealers too and again price is a times better than D.A. plus they are retail ready so no valet or prep.

Have a list of about 5 cars I need to get for honest genuine customers, but there not showing up on the usual channels. Very frustrating

11 hours ago, EPV said:

people prefer it when you’re a trader as they think you’re more serious and competent in dealing with it all

Of course. 

Try buying a bargain car with outstanding finance... The seller has had 7 viewings, 7 people as soon as they found out about the outstanding finance walked away and all he wants is finance settled so his monthly payment stops irrespective of the value of the car. So a £6.5K car could be yours for £4200, all you have to do is pay the finance company over the phone with the seller listening. 

Private buyers just don't dare do that because they think "if it's too good to be true..."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Private buyers just don't dare do that because they think "if it's too good to be true..."

i don't think there's many fools out there trading these days that dont know to hpi afore yee buy

56 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Sorry, I didn't understand this?

i didnt understand yours either

i read it as some dont hpi