Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Provisional Bids

What’s a reasonable timeframe for a vendor to give the green light on a provisional bid? Been waiting all day and i’m getting fed up and would rather know either way so I can move on to other targets 

It frustrates me too, not only financially speaking (can I bid on any more? the pot isn't bottomless) but mainly space - I can fit 12 off the road and I like to be at 12 as much as possible.  Worse still, some Vendors don't allow you to come off bids but are happy to make you wait more than 24 hours.

I only buy from manheim b'ham as im lazy and dont like to travel far.  Bid on a mazda 2 but wanted another car over it, a lady there said i can just retract my bid if the vendor hasnt made a decision on the car. So did that and bought something else. Dont know if this is the same everywhere else.

If it is provisional it works either way.If they come back the next day and not on sale day,you do not have to buy it.In the past I have sometimes said sorry my bid is out of time and then offered them less.Or I might say OK I will take it,but I need a favour on something else etc.

I got through to the AH and I won’t lose any sleep over it as it turns out the reserve is £8.3, the bidding stopped at £6.6 and CC is £7.6. I have no fucking idea where the vendor has pulled £8.3 from as it’s a grade 4, 127,000 mile car but it’s their choice I suppose. 

I wont be getting the green light this time I reckon. 

The one and only other time i’ve had a provisional bid was sold off to me within 30 mins. I think the fucking vendor was even there today n’all!

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

If it is provisional it works either way.If they come back the next day and not on sale day,you do not have to buy it.In the past I have sometimes said sorry my bid is out of time and then offered them less.Or I might say OK I will take it,but I need a favour on something else etc.

Useful to know TV thanks but as I said this one won’t be coming my way unless the vendor wakes up to the smell of coffee tomorrow

3 hours ago, EPV said:

What’s a reasonable timeframe for a vendor to give the green light on a provisional bid? Been waiting all day and i’m getting fed up and would rather know either way so I can move on to other targets 

Best to confirm with the auction house and get the name of the person who advises you, everyone is  different .

Same day, or on a night sale 12 noon the next day. I certainly won’t be left dangling over my money by a third party.

20 hours ago, Mistermuttley said:

I only buy from manheim b'ham as im lazy and dont like to travel far.  Bid on a mazda 2 but wanted another car over it, a lady there said i can just retract my bid if the vendor hasnt made a decision on the car. So did that and bought something else. Dont know if this is the same everywhere else.

The vendors usually wait until the whole sale can be analysed before they'll decide on provs. I'd imagine these days vendors treat the auction houses with the same contempt as the auction houses treat bidders so as a prov buyer you're at the bottom of the pile