Sign in to follow this  
NoMargin

Pearlescent dark red paint?

Hi all,  old painter is now in prison, so had to look for a new paint guy. Just been quoted £300-£350... Scuff on bumper corner and paint peeled off in the other corner, deep dent (30cm)  and graze on the sill. He was charging me £200 just for the bumper. It's pearlescent paint in dark red /burgundy, he said it's a lot of money for the paint as it's 3 layers of paint and difficult colour to match. Is he having me on or is he about right? 

Edited by NoMargin

£150 for a bumper - perhaps allow another £50 if it’s a technical job?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Hi all,  old painter is now in prison, so had to look for a new paint guy. Just been quoted £300-£350... Scuff on bumper corner and paint peeled off in the other corner, deep dent (30cm)  and graze on the sill. He was charging me £200 just for the bumper. It's pearlescent paint in dark red /burgundy, he said it's a lot of money for the paint as it's 3 layers of paint and difficult colour to match. Is he having me on or is he about right? 

He's spot on. If he can match that he can match anything.

Paint is the same price regardless of what it is at my local paintshop.. he's having your kecks down.

£100 a panel is what we pay for everything.

4 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Look for someone on Facebook who wants cash in hand jobs, they will work for much less than this guy is willing too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Nissan? 

3 Stage pearls are not that much more expensive. Its a fraction more. 

You just need to find somewhere to send regular work to and build up a relationship. There are good trade painters everywhere but they don't advertise its all word of mouth and they are all in demand. Plenty of bad quiet ones that can fit you in quickly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

How many panel, it’s not clear ? Red is very difficult to match....

Panels 

Just the whole front bumper and sill. 

if you dont put the pearlescent on at the same angle that the factory did you will not get it to match

it also needs the correct undercoat colour usually a dark red

not an easy colour to get right,my painter would want to paint a whole side if theres bits

all this takes time and motor traders expect perfection at trade price this usually cant happen so its either pay the rate or accept compromise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EPV said:

Nissan? 

Citroën C4

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Old painter in prison.......we have all had them.

He was drink driving as he does, had a very bad accident. 

3 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

Paint is the same price regardless of what it is at my local paintshop.. he's having your kecks down.

£100 a panel is what we pay for everything.

Look for someone on Facebook who wants cash in hand jobs, they will work for much less than this guy is willing too.

Cash is good, but like to show I've spent the money in my books. How do you get round that.. 

3 hours ago, sparky said:

He's spot on. If he can match that he can match anything.

Its already had a smart repair previously on the rear bumper, and the colour match was piss poor. 

Edited by NoMargin

3 or 4 years ago I got a Peugeot 206 rear quarter filled up with a bucket of filler & the whole car painted pink for £300. I kid you not, although I have to confess it was far from the best job & the weed smoking imbecile is no longer in business. I suspect this isn’t much help to you.......

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BHM said:

3 or 4 years ago I got a Peugeot 206 rear quarter filled up with a bucket of filler & the whole car painted pink for £300. I kid you not, although I have to confess it was far from the best job & the weed smoking imbecile is no longer in business. I suspect this isn’t much help to you.......

Would have been use to me if he was still in business but oh well... :lol:

Edited by NoMargin

12 hours ago, tradex said:

To OP.

Your not talking about Wicked Red et al are you? Very popular PSA colour but not 3 layer paint. 

Just asking. 

No I'm sure it's pearl show red. 

7 hours ago, tradex said:

I mentioned it because Wicked Red has a problem keeping its lacquer, worrying that the 3 layer does the same. B)

To be honest the lacquer on the front bumper as peel off in a couple places, not sure if that's just a bad repair, or add you say the colour. 

1 hour ago, NoMargin said:

To be honest the lacquer on the front bumper as peel off in a couple places, not sure if that's just a bad repair, or add you say the colour. 

usually down to bad prep on a repair

factory lacquer is normally cooked on only other problem is say uv light ie car parked up more than used

• Like 1