Sign in to follow this  
EPV

What would you do?

I’ve got an 08 RRS, 2.7TDI, 93k. It’s a two owner car, decent history. Grey with black 22” wheels. This is what i’ve sorted so far;

EML (turbo hose and clean up of EGR)

Sat Nav thought it was in California (replaced antenna)

Renewed drivers seat bolster

Currently having the alloys refurbed and colour changed to grey

New belt(s) and waterpump

Full service and new ticket (clean)

It stands me £8k and at £9,995 i’d have a decent margin but the proper retail price is around £11,600. So this is where I have a decision;

The tyres are all on 3mm  

The rear parking sensors don’t work and the front are a little sensitive although they work well, for example when passing a parked car closely they bleep

The rear windows aren’t tinted. Given the type of buyer (look at me type) I think tinting will add massive kerb appeal

I reckon the tyres will be £600, the parking sensors £150ish (needs the bumper off and could be a wiring issue as scanner isn’t picking it up) and the tinting is £250

So if I get all that done it will stand me £9k but I could rightly put it up for £11,495 and increase my margin by £500 or so but it will also slow down the process and also eliminate the max £10k budget crowd who won’t care about the depth of their tyre tread or the parking sensors.

So, what would you do? Put it up as is or get it very sorted and charge strong money?

OK - Here's what I would do.

Tyres = nothing, use that as a bargaining chip at point of sale (it will add more value then than it will now)

Privacy glass = I agree and it transforms the car, do it.

Parking sensors = on an RR, if that's the only fault you've got a goodun.

Apart from tints, walk away and get on sale.  The little tweaks can be made at POS if someone shows any objection.  

• Like 1

Leave the tyres, do the parking sensors. you can still sell at 10k. Add 1495, increase your VAT BILL by 300. 

rear tinting is £80-90 in B'ham, might be worth shopping around

Just now, twerp said:

rear tinting is £80-90 in B'ham, might be worth shopping around

I was thinking £120-£140 but £250 sounds too much

I’m in north west Kent chap, Bromley. If I can find someone mobile to do it, it’s £200-£250 from what I can make out. 

25 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

OK - Here's what I would do.

Tyres = nothing, use that as a bargaining chip at point of sale (it will add more value then than it will now)

Privacy glass = I agree and it transforms the car, do it.

Parking sensors = on an RR, if that's the only fault you've got a goodun.

Apart from tints, walk away and get on sale.  The little tweaks can be made at POS if someone shows any objection.  

What would you put it up at Mark? After doing all that? 

18 minutes ago, EPV said:

I’m in north west Kent chap, Bromley. If I can find someone mobile to do it, it’s £200-£250 from what I can make out. 

What would you put it up at Mark? After doing all that? 

I know you prep your cars well and go to town on the ad, so £10,995 allowing £500 wriggle room for either tyres or sensors if pressed.  You need something like £2k margin on something wearing a Land Rover badge in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

I know you prep your cars well and go to town on the ad, so £10,995 allowing £500 wriggle room for either tyres or sensors if pressed.  You need something like £2k margin on something wearing a Land Rover badge in my opinion.

Agreed. Cheers for the help all. 

Check the rear sensors one by one with the system turned on. If one has failed, they all fail. They should all make a faint clicking noise if they're working. Easiest way to work out if an actual sensor has failed.

Costs nothing!

You can usually buy one individual sensor from euro car parts and that gets them working again. Its usually one rather than all or a brittle wire. Easy fix on most cars. Wouldn't bother on a cheapo PX but anything over £1500 / 2000 its only around £25.00 or so to get them sorted.

Yeah that’s what i’ve had in the past, one goes and they all go but for whatever reason my garage can’t get any joy off the diagnostic this time. Bumper has to come off but needs must. Booked in next Wednesday and I’ll get on the case for the tinting tomorrow. 

Reminds me of my childhood, Christmas lights wired in series instead of parallel - part the fun checking all those bulbs