Ask Pete

It's sooooo slow.

10 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Where are the straplines Matt?  I notice other people have them but I cannot find where to put them (I'm on a poverty PAYG AT)

You won’t get them on that subscription mate. 

43 minutes ago, EPV said:

You won’t get them on that subscription mate. 

Cheers James

What's the minimum sign up (term) with AT.

I have given up on Ebay and am debating signing up with AT but don't want to be tied in for 12 months in case it tuens out to be shite

5 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Cheers James

What's the minimum sign up (term) with AT.

I have given up on Ebay and am debating signing up with AT but don't want to be tied in for 12 months in case it tuens out to be shite

Rolling monthly as far as i’m aware mate. 

20 minutes ago, EPV said:

Rolling monthly as far as i’m aware mate. 

Thanks James

Mark, it isnt shite, but it isnt cheap. But it does pay off in my experience).

4 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

Mark, it isnt shite, but it isnt cheap. But it does pay off in my experience).

Thanks Matt - just placed my order.

Given up on Ebay and not going to renew Shpock (worth a try and sold a few but the people - wow)

7 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Whenever I have a car that is the cheapest like a trade out car I get nothing but utter idiots on the phone who have not read the advert, watched the video and don't even seem to be able to work out where abouts we are located. Makes me wonder how they survive in life. 

Polo?

Just now, andymc1973 said:

Polo?

Sold at a local auction in the end for more than I had it advertised for :lol: The brutal video was too brutal.

Hi Pete

if that’s your Mazda on AT @ £4500 from Tiverton....unless I am mistaken,it says private seller.38 years in the job you say,that makes you a Trader forever !

On 03/06/2018 at 1:56 PM, Ask Pete said:

Hi - and thanks for letting me join.

Bearing in mind that I'm an upbeat sort of guy, is it me or is the Sales market getting even slower than it was?  Having been in the business for 38 years, I like to think I've got at least some idea of how the game is played, but I just don't seem to be getting any enquiries.  After the trauma and stress of a 40 car Main Dealer forecourt, I'm happy now to only have 4 or 5 for sale, but I keep a good cross section of stuff between £1,000 and £6,000.

My biggest concern is a very clean 2011 Mazda 3 1.6 TS that has only 74k with history.  I've got it on AT and all over FB at £4,500 which is a grand below the next cheapest car of the same age on AT, but I've had ZERO response in over 2 weeks.  Let's not even talk about the immaculate Merc S320 on a 54, the clean 2008 Freelander (yes, I actually chose to buy it!!) or the 04 Picasso Diesel that also seem to want to live with me forever.

I don't know about you guys, but I've NEVER seen it this bad.... 

Welcome Pete, I sell in roughly the same price range as your goodself. It is quiet, even half of the arseholes have gone quiet, but I’m ticking over.

I don’t know your area but here’s my jaundiced opinion of the four cars you’ve mentioned.

Merc - must be reasonably well historied and CHEAP. That’s the most important thing for an old Merc buyer.

Freelander - you say it’s priced right so that should look after itself.

Mazda 3 - I wouldn’t want the f***ing thing, bad sellers, you’d be better off buying three old 2007 Focuses. This is a pitch car, not a doorstep car.

2004 Picasso - absolute peasant motoring, only fit for the Gumtree market. If it was MOTed I’d sell it spares/repair for £299, if not I’d crush it.

40 minutes ago, BHM said:

2004 Picasso - absolute peasant motoring, only fit for the Gumtree market. If it was MOTed I’d sell it spares/repair for £299, if not I’d crush it.

I do enjoy your posts BHM.

I find having less cars in stock makes you feel like everything is slower, I hold around 23 - 25 cars on my tod and if I do 3 - 4 a week with all the cars priced in the middle Im happy and I get a good pedigree of customer, like Rory says putting them all cheap is just going to attract the nutters....... bottom pickers that want the car even cheaper, the worst kind of customer!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BHM said:

Merc - must be reasonably well historied and CHEAP. That’s the most important thing for an old Merc buyer.

Freelander - you say it’s priced right so that should look after itself.

Mazda 3 - I wouldn’t want the f***ing thing, bad sellers, you’d be better off buying three old 2007 Focuses. This is a pitch car, not a doorstep car.

Hi BHM,

Thanks for that.  For info, the Merc is mine, just letting it go to free up much needed funds. I only bought the Picasso to move my caravan, I'm fairly confident I'll make a small gain on it.  I really don't see them as the bad news you feel they are.  Drives OK and is cheap enough to attract buyers who want space and value rather than style and engineering.  Takes all sorts!  As for the Mazda - I have very little experience of them, but I already regret buying it.  It's no good being a better car than a Focus if no bugger knows it.  As you say, it's a site car, not a door step car. Damn!!

21 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Pete

if that’s your Mazda on AT @ £4500 from Tiverton....unless I am mistaken,it says private seller.38 years in the job you say,that makes you a Trader forever !

Yeah, that's me - have you ever tried correcting your status with AT?  It says it's changed, but never does, bloody thing.  BTW - I despise AT and use it purely out of necessity.

On 03/06/2018 at 3:37 PM, trade vet said:

I see,your a franchised dealer guy, I thought you had been a Trader for 38 years.....OK before anyone else asks,what is the biggest bung you have ever had ?..........and Pete,welcome to the forum.

Hi Vet,

No, sorry, crossed wires.  Been in the Trade for 38 years, but now doing 'a bit' of Trading/Selling rather than go back to the main stream business.  IMHO a REAL Trader only buys from one site and sells to another, never doing retail sales - haven't seen one of those in a loooooong time.  The modern Trader buys from everywhere and sells into the Trade and has retail selling facilities.  That's now the norm' - I think?!!