Sign in to follow this  
metcars

My old smoker thrown a fit

Been smokin' around in yet another old Focus 2005 and been hammering up and down M1 last few weeks for various reasons racking up the miles. Yesterday it suddenly developed a stumble at idle along with flat performance that comes and goes (I thought it might be MAF). Codes are p0133 and p0153  "Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response". Some research has shown they could just be 'lazy' but it seems weird that both should fail together?

What does the CDM collective think?:)

cdm isnt what it was

its too american for me

i now buy aldi chocolate:)

whats that oreo about too whilst im on they were horrible 30 years ago just like hersheys adventures of  chocolate tin tin,nasty stuff

now the car

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0133

Hersheys isn’t even chocolate as I underaged the definition, absolute crap

2 hours ago, tradex said:

2 hours ago, tradex said:

read the live data and see if they are switching. Common failure though, the 'measuring sensor' does get slow as they get older, the other fault is the heating circuit, not much else to go wrong with them otherwise.

99% of the time it runs fine but, randomly it will go bad. Do you think its strange that both front sensors have failed together?

.... and after hundreds of motorway miles in the last week it has behaved itself. Did 300 miles last thursday, but friday morning pulled off the drive and noticed a 'patch' of liquid. Investigation shows a leak from the power steering pump hose connector. My dilemma is, do I 'cheap skate' with a set of used pipes or invest in a set from main dealer, or bail out?

If it’s just the union at the pump and the pipes are ok. And you are mega careful with an air cut off tool.... you can just change the union! 

Its a 1 time fit - and cannot be removed without cutting it off. However undoing the nut/union is a real ball ache too. From memory the pipes are around 60 plus vat now from Ford. 

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

If it’s just the union at the pump and the pipes are ok. And you are mega careful with an air cut off tool.... you can just change the union! 

Its a 1 time fit - and cannot be removed without cutting it off. However undoing the nut/union is a real ball ache too. From memory the pipes are around 60 plus vat now from Ford. 

Isn't the union part of the pipe?

46 minutes ago, met said:

Isn't the union part of the pipe?

Nope, definitely comes separate. 

Try Lucas PAS Stop Leak - it works a treat. Many moons ago I took in a Vectra p/x & it was pissing out of one of the rack ends - to my surprise this totally sealed it. I should add that I’ve also seen small leaks that it’s failed to ‘fix’.

6 hours ago, BHM said:

Try Lucas PAS Stop Leak - it works a treat. Many moons ago I took in a Vectra p/x & it was pissing out of one of the rack ends - to my surprise this totally sealed it. I should add that I’ve also seen small leaks that it’s failed to ‘fix’.

Yes you're right, apparently the new Ford updated pipes (£146!) now have to have a new union that the pipe fits into (one time fitting).

But, I thought I might have gotten away with a few days local driving and keeping it topped up but in torrential rain today the old girl catastrophically failed. Only upside it was outside a really nice bakers so belgian buns and coffee while the man with the truck turns up!:D