metcars

Manheim Assured - why do they do it?

On 21/04/2018 at 7:35 PM, D&M said:

Apologies, didn't read the last sentence.

I do see your point (reading properly this time), would be interesting to find out if a vendor can just bin a pants surecheck.

I'm sure we've bought a car from BCA that wasn't Assured, but couldn't see the reason why it wouldn't be online. 2009, 50k miles.

Bought it, knackered gearbox!

Sorry to hear that.

Consolation is that, I think you are the only person on this thread that actually understands the point I'm trying to make:D

7 minutes ago, met said:

Sorry to hear that.

Consolation is that, I think you are the only person on this thread that actually understands the point I'm trying to make:D

Have you ever seen a failed surecheck note on the screen...........  

18 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Have you ever seen a failed surecheck note on the screen...........  

On the website. As far as I can see 'noisy engine' or 'smoking' is a fail for me. I can't see why the vendor would even consider using the surecheck in that instance?

Sure check is a waste of time imo. I recently had 2 cars delivered with a pass on sure check silver.

I received delivery and one of the cars had a airbag light on, I checked the sure check and it said pass, no light. I checked again the pictures online and it shows a blurry dash with 2 unidentified red lights turned out to be handbrake light which is fine and the airbag light.

Mechanic of mine scanned and it was the airbag squib, £540 trade from Baylis Vauxhall!

I contacted sure check, can I do I video of the car showing registration and the dash with engine running and engine off. Can I send a picture of the scanner code, can I send a quote and we will investigate. Sure I sent the lot wit ha quote for £708 , lets see where this goes.

They cant even check if a airbag light is on! oh and a £35 charge for not checking the car

Did a clutch and gearbox on on an Audi for a business associate of mine let them carry out the repair authorised the work no question asked and paid the bill in stated time so there is success stories out .. 

as well as the negatives theres a been a couple of them too. 

The assessments are only as good as the assessors & even the best assessor will make mistakes.

Yesterday I sat in one with a missing EML that wasn’t noted. 

Tbh my biggest problem is being forced to take this Mickey Mouse policy in the first place.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

The assessments are only as good as the assessors & even the best assessor will make mistakes.

Tbh my biggest problem is being forced to take this Mickey Mouse policy in the first place.

Thats a very good point BHM we have often said the assurances should be optional .. 

Edited by Casper

BCA assured manheim assured the biggest bollocks the amount of cars ive had of them with problems ive lost count,

4 hours ago, yogibear said:

Sure check is a waste of time imo. I recently had 2 cars delivered with a pass on sure check silver.

I received delivery and one of the cars had a airbag light on, I checked the sure check and it said pass, no light. I checked again the pictures online and it shows a blurry dash with 2 unidentified red lights turned out to be handbrake light which is fine and the airbag light.

Mechanic of mine scanned and it was the airbag squib, £540 trade from Baylis Vauxhall!

I contacted sure check, can I do I video of the car showing registration and the dash with engine running and engine off. Can I send a picture of the scanner code, can I send a quote and we will investigate. Sure I sent the lot wit ha quote for £708 , lets see where this goes.

They cant even check if a airbag light is on! oh and a £35 charge for not checking the car

they wouldn't cover the squib on mine, fault was horn mot working

On 4/21/2018 at 8:50 AM, Lakeside said:

Bca assured 1st to reverse isn’t static, again when I went for my interview I was shown the complete process. It’s select first gear, fast acceleration up to 20mph, stop then reverse back to the start line. 

Then brake test is hard acceleration to 30mph then hard braking at a marked stopping point.

A slipping clutch would be picked up on either of these tests.

Turned the job down in the end because even though I’m a fully qualified mechanic any faults I found had to go through a supervisor and the money was crap.

I was an AA BCA assured "man" for 3 years and there's guys earning 40k a year and more @ blackbushe :blink:

On 9/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, BHM said:

You'd think they employed qualified mechanics to perform the tests wouldn't you?........

Edited by MrV

Bca assured 1st to reverse isn’t static, again when I went for my interview I was shown the complete process. It’s select first gear, fast acceleration up to 20mph, stop then reverse back to the start line. 

Then brake test is hard acceleration to 30mph then hard braking at a marked stopping point.

A slipping clutch would be picked up on either of these tests.

Turned the job down in the end because even though I’m a fully qualified mechanic any faults I found had to go through a supervisor and the money was crap.

I guess the one i was referring to  was missed and thats why the replaced clutch and gearbox maybe down to tester error

Then brake test is hard acceleration to 30mph then hard braking 

What branches do they do all this? I've never seen them do it at Enfield, they wouldn't have the room. Maybe they road test them?

21 hours ago, met said:

What branches do they do all this? I've never seen them do it at Enfield, they wouldn't have the room. Maybe they road test them?

Do they f***, tbh I think half of them don’t even look at the cars judging by the shit they write and by what they miss.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BHM said:

Do they f***, tbh I think half of them don’t even look at the cars judging by the shit they write and by what they miss.

The grading systems are rubbish as well I've seen grade 1 cars that in my eyes are at least a 2 maybe even a 3 sometimes and I've seen grade 2s the was more like a 1 in-fact only recently they asked if would be interested in a car they had coming in said it was a grade 1 said would rather check that as they tend to have stevie wonder grading the girl in the office didn't get it probably not a regular listener lol 

the guy who told me got it though the yard manager he asked what i meant by that he knew fine well 

Edited by Casper