Sign in to follow this  
Dealer

Fiat Punto Intermittent Steering Wheel Light

Had the above vehicle in part exchange this week, used it now in 3 occasions however the steering wheel light came on while driving just once and steering went heavy. Knocked car off and its not done it since. Anyone else experienced these symptoms and know what it's down to, I'm hoping it's a cheap fix such as the battery. 

Have you checked the PAS fluid reservoir?

I was under the impression that there is a electronic system in these same as the corsa etc

Presuming its a electric steering model.

Battery health is critical on these.

If it only comes on when steering really quickly in either direction then it probably wants the column changed, Internalt torque sensor codes will probably be present when code read.

There are plenty of reconditioned ones on ebay with a lifetime warranty.

• Like 1

I got one in now as it happens 08 will need a motor / column the earlier ones up to face lift 06 you could get away with just a motor the newer ones sadly not so easy, I agree with Stalker well worth checking the battery condition earths ect

27 minutes ago, EPV said:

Have you checked the PAS fluid reservoir?

Good luck finding that

Either battery or alternator, or steering angle sensor. Pretty common on these. You could pick up a working steering column (as long as numbers match) from a breakers and have it re-calibrated. 

Or there are firms who re-condition or supply ones, theres a place in Bristol that's pretty good, or try ECU testing?

Hello everyone...Does it feel like it needs a tracking done (is it pulling left or right)? HAD THIS ISSUE WITH FIAT 500 2009...driving a longer period in the straight lane triggered the power steering warning lamp and no power steering unless I switched the engine.....tracking sort it out

These are common for motors like the corsa's.

Shouldn't take too long I have to do a stalk on a 07 Punto Grande this week as the lights never turn off (common fault).

4 hours ago, tradex said:

That is one of the signs of the steering motor going down, the tracking being off won't cause a loss of power assistance. Sadly, that's a problem waiting to reappear.

A steering light error light will leave a fault code behind. As said, a lot of these are caused by tired batteries OR the wrong battery being fitted with an incorrect capacity rating....a lower AMP/Hr and therefore cheaper.

Good luck.

We are getting a little nervy with our recent Grand/EVO Punto purchases.

We seem to be getting a lot of issues with them that we never used to see on the older Puntos.

Too many steering issues, too many m/c-s/c clutch issues, too many noisy boxes, too many failed alternators, too many failed door wiring looms, too many heater control issues, too many ignition key/lock issues.....I think that's one model we may let pass us by from now on.

Shame as good sellers.

you missed flooded fuse boxes:P

The only surprise here is that some of you traders are surprised that Puntos are crap :lol:

Dross only fit for Gumtree in my opinion but each to their own.

3 hours ago, ik1980 said:

just out of interest BHM, what cars do you rate?

Im keen to see the answer to this...

:D

57 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Me too........ :ph34r:

Punt.... stretch limo with lots of drunken virgins....

Just as long as they’re not acalled Colin....

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Haha not many but I’ll start with most Toyotas, Hondas, Volvo 70&90s, many Fords & (don’t laugh) I’m partial to a PETROL Zafira or two - you can shove their diesel engines & the rest of Vauxhall’s range up your arse. Basically proper cars that show proper profit for me.

I’ll hasten to add that out of that little lot I do NOT include small cars - I can’t stand the greedy penny pinching bottom of the range twats most small cars attract. Except for offering some poor wretch about £200 for his desperate Punto swapper, the thought of investing in one of FIATs finest doesn’t register on my radar.