Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Mondeo 2.0 Diesel 2005

Took one of these in chop reluctantly but I had a good margin in the sale so even if the chop fell off the face of the earth i’m still ahead. 

The previous owner had the fuel injectors replaced at a cost of £900 6 weeks before he approached me with it so I knew I wasn’t in for plain sailing. 

I took it into my usual garage as it was idling like a bag of shit, hunting. The garage have said it idles smoothly when it’s hot but rough as when cold. They suggest the fuel pump may need replacing but they can’t say for sure it will remedy it and I don’t want to play parts darts with it. As if only owes me £700 and will retail for £1500 I don’t mind ploughing £300 max in it to nick a few quid and get my money back but I don’t want it to turn into a hole in which I just keep pushing more money down. 

Anyone got any experience of something similar with this year/Make/model?

Normally I’d say just eBay it or crush it but at this point I cannot understand how on earth a 13yr old Mondog diesel owes you £700. 

I’d of thought the trade would automatically offer £1-200 for them cos, let’s be honest, we know they’re knackered.

• Like 2

i would of only taken it in chop if the battery looked newish

i likes big ford batteries eyes does:lol:

Yes I have definitely been caught napping on this one I think. Lesson learned etc. 

I think i’ll give it a brush up and write a brutally honest advert and eBay it. 

When it arrived it looked and sounded fine. The intention was to give it a good valet, put a years ticket on it and get £1k for it and sell it to the right buyer. I’ve definitely been tucked up. I’ll put it down to paying my dues to the game :)

Believe me I would be happy to be shot of it. As said, I had a great margin in the car I sold him.

14 minutes ago, tradex said:

Is it smoking when cold, blue/grey? Yes=Conrod possibly, but.. 

If no or no'ish=Be worth checking calibration data is entered correctly, so many f@ck this up not knowing the correct (odd?) way Ford do cylinder to injector numbering. 

Also, does the engine bay smell of diesel exhaust gas, if yes then remove injectors, cut n clean their seats, fit new heat shields and refit. 

Then do a bottle leak off just to be sure the injectors are serviceable...just because their is a bill...

Check coolant temp' is sane on real time scanner. 

Diesels are more sensitive to any problems when cold. 

Good luck. 

Forgot to mention, the different bhp engine's use different injectors too, they don't just use longer pulse times. Worth checking they are the right injectors;)

Cheers mate. 

No smoke, no smells of fumes. I’ll mention your suggestions to my garage and see what they can do. Fast running out of enthusiasm for it to be honest and will give it up as a bad job and learn an expensive lesson that I should basically give people £200 for a banger and not be frightened that they may cop the ‘ump and look elsewhere. 

54 minutes ago, EPV said:

I should basically give people £200 for a banger and not be frightened that they may cop the ‘ump and look elsewhere. 

Don’t buy work & let those who want to go elsewhere, go. Shit should be valued as shit, simple.

Half of the time they are so desperate to get out of their shed they’ll take almost anything but those who can’t afford to change unless YOU over allow should be allowed to walk away.

• Like 2

Check EGR and boost pipes.

IMV on fuel pumps are quite common too for poor idle. 

We saw a car this week that had just had 6 new diesel injectors supposedly and a ancient fuel filter still on it..... 

• Like 1

just do the ebay ad spares repairs and see if it goes at £250

you say this was the cream on the cake so wipe it off its gone off

i cant see why most traders wouldnt have there own code reader, ok, so your not mechanics, i understand, but its got to be helpful surely? tradexs excellent suggestion re coolant temp, is easily checked with a code reader that does live data [ very cheap nowadays] essential as a jump pack in my thoughts ? :wacko:

5 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

i cant see why most traders wouldnt have there own code reader, ok, so your not mechanics, i understand, but its got to be helpful surely? tradexs excellent suggestion re coolant temp, is easily checked with a code reader that does live data [ very cheap nowadays] essential as a jump pack in my thoughts ? :wacko:

You mean a hand held diagnostic machine? I've had a garage plug their diagnostic machine in and it returned nothing so in this instance I think those little DIY jobbies wouldn't have helped!

Also, cars throw a fault code if you fart in them. If it's a historical code that hasn't been cleared then in could give a false reading? 

I think you need to chuck in the auction, it’ll keep draining your wallet