Sign in to follow this  
Dealer

What Would You Do.......

Customer purchases a car 2 months ago, calls today to say that it's been making a noise, takes it to his local garage as he's from afar, they order in a new pulley kit and belt and proceed with fitting it........ Total cost over £300......... Just managed to pick myself up off the floor to write this....... Problem is guy was really nice but come on, who knows when a tensioner or pulley is going to start clacking away. To top it off I can get the kit for £109 plus approx £30 labour from fitting. I'm sure some of you here have been in similar situations. 

9 minutes ago, Dealer said:

Customer purchases a car 2 months ago, calls today to say that it's been making a noise, takes it to his local garage as he's from afar, they order in a new pulley kit and belt and proceed with fitting it........ Total cost over £300......... Just managed to pick myself up off the floor to write this....... Problem is guy was really nice but come on, who knows when a tensioner or pulley is going to start clacking away. To top it off I can get the kit for £109 plus approx £30 labour from fitting. I'm sure some of you here have been in similar situations. 

He should of checked with you first before going ahead with any repair.

Depends a lot on how much grief you want to deal with really, a lot of traders would just refuse to pay out, i personally would probably just offer half towards the repair which is roughly what it would of cost you to sort it yourself.

Customer will probably be happy and then move on.

If he has gone ahead and had the work done before consulting you then that was his choice and you can politely decline his offer to remove £300 from your wallet. If you are felling generous you could maybe offer what it would have cost yoy

Does your T&C scream this condition out mine highlight it and i spell it out.

How do you know if there was actually a fault, let alone it being diagnosed and repaired correctly. I certainly wouldn't pay a penny. You have NOT been given the opportunity to inspect or repair or even the courtesy of a phone call prior to any of the above..... End of story in my book 

16 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

How do you know if there was actually a fault, let alone it being diagnosed and repaired correctly. I certainly wouldn't pay a penny. You have NOT been given the opportunity to inspect or repair or even the courtesy of a phone call prior to any of the above..... End of story in my book 

Exactly this.......... I'm always suspicious of the ones that do this...... Really boils my p1ss! I'll deal with it tomorrow once I've had a few beers to dwell on it this evening. 

I've never had a punter going ahead with work without notification. Our invoices have a big bold bit that states any works must be approved in advance which seems to stop us having this as an issue. 

Having said all that i'd weigh up the guy and the garage and offer half as a gesture so long as it was something over £3000

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

I've never had a punter going ahead with work without notification. Our invoices have a big bold bit that states any works must be approved in advance which seems to stop us having this as an issue. 

Having said all that i'd weigh up the guy and the garage and offer half as a gesture so long as it was something over £3000

33 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Simple answer is tell him sorry he hasn't gone about this the correct way. No way on this earth would I pay £300. I have had this sort of thing many times. Be firm.

11 hours ago, tradex said:

Bloody hell, spend an hour on Piston Heads for conformation of what lying, cheating downright criminal acts customers get up to.

Read the ask a car dealer anything thread on there and you will see how many people just hate car dealers :lol::lol:

15 hours ago, justina3 said:

Does your T&C scream this condition out mine highlight it and i spell it out.

Same here... not your problem, unless he a/ contacted you first or b/ brought it back to you for inspection... imo he 'chose' to sort a squeek which after having it 2 months would definately fall into 'wear and tear' 

Well thats it im going to start gobbing in the screen wash bottle from now on so they definitely have a piece of me