Sign in to follow this  
MattR

'would you like autotrader to take a deposit for you'

or something that read pretty much the same was what greeted me this morning on a little pop up box when I loaded into portal. NO, I WOULD NOT! and the 'why not ' box ran out if characters before I could finish what I wanted to say!

My reasons why not? They havent seen the car yet! I dont do a comprehensive video like simon does, and my understanding is that he talks to people before taking any money.

How long do they want to 'reserve' it for? the only person to benefit from reserving the car is the customer, not me. hold it for a few days then change their mind? no thanks.

Part ex?

amongst a variety of other reasons. I know the supermarkets do it, but is this what we want?

It will be the norm soon.

Reserve for a click and collect type scenario. 

Mr Dealy is ahead of his time with his business model.

10 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

or something that read pretty much the same was what greeted me this morning on a little pop up box when I loaded into portal. NO, I WOULD NOT! and the 'why not ' box ran out if characters before I could finish what I wanted to say!

My reasons why not? They havent seen the car yet! I dont do a comprehensive video like simon does, and my understanding is that he talks to people before taking any money.

How long do they want to 'reserve' it for? the only person to benefit from reserving the car is the customer, not me. hold it for a few days then change their mind? no thanks.

Part ex?

amongst a variety of other reasons. I know the supermarkets do it, but is this what we want?

be more hassle than it worth if the start doing that 

I think it a daft idea 

I stopped taking deposits about a year ago. I run on a “first come, first served” basis and because they’ve not paid a deposit I tell them they’re free to view & walk if they don’t like it with absolutely no pressure. It works 90% of the time because I weed out most arseholes over the phone.

It works for me as I really can’t be arsed chewing on with customers - if they turn up with high expectations they’ve not paid a deposit so there’s no negotiation “Mr. Customer, if you don’t like what you see at my price then please do not get in and drive it, don’t waste either of our time, just leave it to one of the other 63 million of the population”.

Years ago I used to take a £3-500 deposit (it used to concentrate punters minds :lol:), then £200 but nowadays punters seem to think £100 is a deposit (it’s barely a good drink nowadays!) and I didn’t like removing a car from sale for such a paltry amount.

• Like 1