A & S

Joys of online advertising

Joys of online advertising...

Earlier this evening our ebay motors pro account has been hacked, the user name has been changed but our address is still the same, think someone is trying to get payment details from desperate buyers who don't want to miss out on a bargain.

We had this many moons ago, they amended the sale price of the cars to horrifically cheap then added their own mobile number .. customer call's.. guy answers and says there has been lost of interest in the car .. customer pays deposit over the phone to Mr Criminal's account .... customer turns up hoping to pick up the deal of the year and then everyone realises whats gone on :wacko:

15 hours ago, A & S said:

Joys of online advertising...

Earlier this evening our ebay motors pro account has been hacked, the user name has been changed but our address is still the same, think someone is trying to get payment details from desperate buyers who don't want to miss out on a bargain.

You would have been phished. There's usually an email through to you saying

Hi,

I'm really interested in this car:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YOURCAR

Can you let me know if it is still available

Regards

S Cam

You click the link and it asks you to login, what you don't see is the link masks the real destination which leads you to a copy site of ebay which the scammers own (ALWAYS CHECK THE URL BAR). You punch in your login details and it then returns you to ebay's actual homepage. You think "huh?" and usually nothing more. Their database then emails them your username and password and you get done over.

Edited by Mojo121

This happened twice to me , to be fair to the pro team when I called them it was sorted pretty quick...had someone from fraud inthe states call back and reset everything. But proper pain in the arse !

Hear of hacking all the time but never thought it would happen to us. So easy to get caught in this scam. Got lots of calls and emails last night and this morning. There was no contact number on the adverts callers were google searching us and calling. Called Ebay took most of the morning to sort it. As we were resetting the password the scammers were taking over again and again, then Ebay realised they were got into our email account aswell. Well annoying is an understatement. 

Can you imagine what it could be like in the future with these driverless A I electric cars,there could be some 15 year old nerd in their bedroom somewhere with a lap top/code reader and hacking into the traffic and shutting down the M25 around Heathrow or similar.

Just had the same happen to me last week loads of cheap cars listed on my hacked ebay account, phone went ballistic, took a bit of sorting out  but sorted now.