Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Cat D

I don't make a habit of actively buying write offs, but a '07 focus diesel hatch has landed in my lap on a CAT D. I'm tempted to get rid but its a nice enough old thing with history in black and a ghia. Is it worth 'punting', and what about price?

If its a nice enough car then just retail it as usual, make sure the buyer is aware that is been accident repaired.

Cat d could be as simple as a cracked bumper ! No structural damage so not necessarily a bad car at all.

As for price on an 07 its not going to make a massive difference maybe £300 less than a normal one.

5 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

If its a nice enough car then just retail it as usual, make sure the buyer is aware that is been accident repaired.

Cat d could be as simple as a cracked bumper ! No structural damage so not necessarily a bad car at all.

As for price on an 07 its not going to make a massive difference maybe £300 less than a normal one.

Thanks, It's had some paint anyway, not sure it's all from the cat D.

2 hours ago, met said:

I don't make a habit of actively buying write offs, but a '07 focus diesel hatch has landed in my lap on a CAT D. I'm tempted to get rid but its a nice enough old thing with history in black and a ghia. Is it worth 'punting', and what about price?

It'll attract the pond life....

11 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It'll attract the pond life....

:D

38 minutes ago, trade vet said:

You could market it as a ‘Jeremy Kyle Limited Edition’

:lol:

I'd be retailing that all day long. 2/3rd's of book retail. Advertise it very clearly with Cat D in the title, description, invoice etc and wait for the phone calls. Have it gone by the weekend no doubt.

43 minutes ago, trade vet said:

You could market it as a ‘Jeremy Kyle Limited Edition’

Which comes with free “Sports Direct”  tracky bottoms 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

I'd be retailing that all day long. 2/3rd's of book retail. Advertise it very clearly with Cat D in the title, description, invoice etc and wait for the phone calls. Have it gone by the weekend no doubt.

Interesting, there's always divided opinion with 'write offs'. You either love them or hate them.

2 minutes ago, met said:

Interesting, there's always divided opinion with 'write offs'. You either love them or hate them.

Yep. I can totally understand why many wouldn't stock them but so long as the customer is fully informed and the car is a proper bit of kit I don't have an issue with them.

I find we get far more 'Jeremy Kyles' looking for strap on white Jukes and black A3's then we ever do on Cat stuff. Maybe we're lucky but they always seem to attract people who understand that a Cat D will usually just have had some body work or a smallish prang and they're pretty realistic about condition and expectations.

We usually just get Cat stuff in chop and it's normally cheap Fords, Vauxhalls etc. I think Cat BMW's, Audi's etc would attract a more difficult punter.

You can't even sell a cheap car these days. We have a 407 marketed up stupidly low (because it's not sold at any price) and all we get is 'best price mate?' after they acknowledge it's cheap...

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Which comes with free “Sports Direct”  tracky bottoms 

It's Lonsdale bottoms up this way, they normally turn up looking for Astra vxr's, Honda civic type r's and focus St's.... Haven't got 2 pennies to scratch their backsides with and you end up hawking them around all the finance companies under the sun! 

3 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

You can't even sell a cheap car these days. We have a 407 marketed up stupidly low (because it's not sold at any price) and all we get is 'best price mate?' after they acknowledge it's cheap...

Moron car for morons

14 minutes ago, Dealer said:

It's Lonsdale bottoms up this way, they normally turn up looking for Astra vxr's, Honda civic type r's and focus St's.... Haven't got 2 pennies to scratch their backsides with and you end up hawking them around all the finance companies under the sun! 

Same thing Lonsdale,owned by Sports Direct !

20 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Moron car for morons

Don't... ha. All I do is rue the day I bought it. Must've been short on stock that day...

On 15/01/2018 at 4:55 PM, met said:

Thanks, It's had some paint anyway, not sure it's all from the cat D.

give it a full pdi, try and see why it was cat d, maybe phone the owner or send him a sae with request for info, put a full mot on it, advertise it as hpi shows cat d insurance claim some time in its past, DONT underprice it and the phone will ring, not being derogatory but there is a bum for every seat :)

On 1/16/2018 at 8:15 AM, tradex said:

Ahh yes, that very reliable consumer program;)

Aye; A programme for morons of ever there was. 

Anyway, this 407, dont suppose it's a 2.0 HDi SW is it?

20 minutes ago, tradex said:

Join the queue, no one likes a queue jumper:P

We love a 407 estate or saloon, 2.0 HDi diesels or any gas.

My wife like's a large car, does a lot of miles and likes to keep a car for a while if it fit's her.

She had one of the last 2.2 gasoline's built, that I had to crowbar her out of when it hit over 190k.

She has a bad a back, so for her comfort's the main priority, new or old, she isn't fussed, ohh, they are nice lumpy safe car in case the worst happens.

That thing flew and a lovely torquey engine, not the quietest engine though an older design having noisy timing variators even when new. They like a bit of oil too similar to the VAG's.

I kid you not. That car looked like a well cared for 30k example when it went off to pastures new, it was simply stunning, even the driver's seat had but the slightest patina. The Polish buyer was amazed at the condition. We heard thru the grapevine that it appeared a few months later on Gumtree complete with a free haircut and a lot more money:rolleyes:

From memory. Bought at 90k, sold at 190k, 2 ABS sensors at £10 each, a clutch (cheap non-dual mass) which started slipping @ 120k, the usual heater flap valve failure but it's an easy, if slightly messy fix nowadays, and brake pads...the brake pad warning light comes on when a third of pad meat still on them:o

They have issues like any other car, but usually it's an easy, cheap fix if you know and understand them.

PS Her one even did a track day once, was far better than I thought possible for a lump, huge brakes too so good a bit of late brakingB)

Ha, sorry, age before beauty :D

They are fantastic cars, I used to smoke the odd coupe, 2.0 hdi of course. Remember years ago taking one in swap against  a newer one. It had 275k on the clock  and looked like it had 275k on the clock but I was determined to get it to 300k. Sadly we moved house and the missus thought it was bringing the tone of the avenue down so it had to go :(