Sign in to follow this  
Mojo121

Unlicensed vehicle

Hi all, similar thread to another on here but I didn’t want to hijack it!

We received a letter from the DVLA about an unlicensed vehicle being seen on a specific date and time with photographic evidence of it being left on a public highway - back in October. No dispute there, the car was taken home by my business partner when he was due to take it to a mechanic but they were closed so he just went home.

The thing is though the car was clamped and we called and paid the £100 fine, being told that was the end of it. Now we’re got this letter they’re now asking us to fill it in and return it with threats of upto £1000 fine ( I doubt it would be a £1000...) and additional fees for unpaid road tax.

The thing is surely we’ve paid our dues for the mistake here? The car is “in trade” so doesn’t require sorning and we can’t pay twice for the same infraction can we? Unless they think my business partner isn’t connected to the business and he was a new owner?

i’ll ring them later but I just wanted to have an idea of where you all think I stand.

13 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Hi all, similar thread to another on here but I didn’t want to hijack it!

We received a letter from the DVLA about an unlicensed vehicle being seen on a specific date and time with photographic evidence of it being left on a public highway - back in October. No dispute there, the car was taken home by my business partner when he was due to take it to a mechanic but they were closed so he just went home.

The thing is though the car was clamped and we called and paid the £100 fine, being told that was the end of it. Now we’re got this letter they’re now asking us to fill it in and return it with threats of upto £1000 fine ( I doubt it would be a £1000...) and additional fees for unpaid road tax.

The thing is surely we’ve paid our dues for the mistake here? The car is “in trade” so doesn’t require sorning and we can’t pay twice for the same infraction can we? Unless they think my business partner isn’t connected to the business and he was a new owner?

i’ll ring them later but I just wanted to have an idea of where you all think I stand.

Mitigation etc.What if it was booked in for an MOT via your mechanic and getting clamped prevented the MOT taking place.

I had a similar situation, paid the initial fine to have the clamp removed and re-taxed the car. That was a year ago and heard nothing since. Sounds like a mistake to me.