James Baggott

Help make Car Dealer even better - and be honest!

Hi all

Firstly just want to say it's great to see so many of you in here using the forum regularly.

The team and I keep a close eye on what you're saying in here and find it invaluable when it comes to shaping what goes in the magazine each month.

You may have seen - and warning, massive self promotion time - that we won Best Business Publication of the Year from Headline Auto this week. It's the second time we've won this award and I'm very proud of it indeed - especially as it's voted for by the industry.

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/car-dealer-named-best-business-publication-year/84686?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I hope you can see we put a lot of passion and effort into bringing you the best trade magazine every month but we're always striving to make it better.

You may also have heard that editor Batch leaves us this week. He's off to stack shelves at Tesco, I think (a brilliant promotion) but we'll be very sad to see the Quiffed One go. However, it also means new beginnings and a perfect chance to make Car Dealer even better.

With that in mind I'd love to hear your thoughts on:

1. What would you like to see more of in the magazine?

2. Is there anything we don't cover you think we should?

3. What are your favourite parts of the mag and why?

4. And what don't you like (and if you say my column I'll ignore you...)

5. Are there any features on certain areas of the business you'd like to see?

All comments would be welcomed - good or bad - and I'll be monitoring this post closely and reading all the entries.

This is a genuine opportunity to help shape your Car Dealer of the future and I'll be sharing it directly with Batch's replacement (more news on that soon) as soon as they're on board.

Thanks in advance for your time :)

• Like 1

Magazine best bits:

Stories about dealers, their history

The law bit, is always good and use to have more examples which was a shame it got cut back

Would like to see more product reviews, e.g Contact Advantage new software or Pinewood latest updates, or EMACs new Evolve system or the key tracker system

Best practice guides on various processes, for example, how do x y z present GAP?

Also something non motortrade related that we could use in the trade, for example, how does a supermarket contorl stock and could we learn something? Best social media idea of the month? 

Any new sites just built?

• Like 1

Hi James

Best bits are Big Mike!!, Law Stories, stories about other dealers and their histories, James Linton's column (he once traded a car to me!!) and the column by the YTS lad James can sometimes be worth a read!!

I will read certain interviews, I thought the DVLA one was a good high profile one to get (shame the DVLA let us down with a lesson in avoiding the questions), other interviews with MD on big dealer groups I may skim through as they don't really have much relevance for me.

I rarely read the new car reviews, I never have so its nothing against how you do it but I will read reviews/buyer guides on used cars (I guess it's more my market).

Going forward I would like to see more content towards the used car market, 3-10 year old cars etc. Interviews with people like the OFT trying to help us understand what they expect (and in return we can show then the used car market can't be covered by a 'one size fits all' approach), BCA, Dealer Auction etc basicly the people we use and have to deal with in the course of our business. Maybe reviews of valeting products etc

The fun and informative approach of present is great, I guess it would be impossible to produce a (free) magazine that gives everyone 100% what they want. 

1. What would you like to see more of in the magazine? 

Would like to see more testing of the essentials, like how many suitcases you can fit in etc, the day to day use of a car.

2. Is there anything we don't cover you think we should?

Accessories maybe, bike racks etc which makes are better and which are a nightmare. I always remember trying to get a tow bar fitting and being put off by the crazy price the main dealer were charging.

3. What are your favourite parts of the mag and why? 

Anything with an AMG ! The force is strong with that one, oh and any M car (BMW), do love a nice sounding car. 

Also love the stats, must be the geek in me but excellent pages in the mag. 

4. And what don't you like (and if you say my column I'll ignore you...) 

Batch dress sence, how did he ever get the job in the first place, Tesco's will be pleased with his retro style, Tesco Express 

Only joking sure he's a nice bloke.

Really can honestly say that there isn't anything that i feel that strongly about that i would tell you, obviously love the Baggott column, what a nice bloke !! (invite for Rockingham next year in the post) 

5. Are there any features on certain areas of the business you'd like to see?

Would like to see something auction related, maybe an auction watch type idea, trends etc. Sure you make something work where others have failed.

Overall you're doing it right and sure the new batch will be fine !  

James

Firstly congratulations again for winning such an important award, it's great to see you guys get the recognition you deserve, please pass on our best wishes to Batch also

1. What would you like to see more of in the magazine? Personally I would like to see more reviews of products and maybe some joint offers, I'm sure there are enough members of your club that we can receive some type of discount from suppliers a bit like a cooperative. Reviews of products are important but what about offering three different dealers these products to use over a period of time and for them then to report on and review, that way we can identify ourselves with the dealer seize and the possible benefits of the product along with a true review and not just an advert.

2. Is there anything we don't cover you think we should? I would love to see some more 'real life' interviews with dealers, getting their background, their experience and their reasons for staying in the motortrade. These interviews can again help compare what stages we are all at in our motortrade lives. Can we help each other share ideas, as William said above 'best practise' if we can help each other as independent companies to share industry best practise surely that helps everyone. Maybe we could have a problems page.....no not that kind of problem page but one where you can ask, 'have you had a problem with one of these cars previously?'

3. What are your favourite parts of the mag and why? I personally thing the magazine is fantastic and the only magazine I can truly say I look forward to reading monthly. it gives a wide variety of subjects and always makes me laugh with the humour used, so I don't have a particular favourite part.

4. And what don't you like (and if you say my column I'll ignore you...)The amount of adverts(especially AutoTrader ones), but understand that these are required to fund the magazine

5. Are there any features on certain areas of the business you'd like to see? Maybe a couple of pages dedicated to servicing best practise, problems issues shared etc

I think your forum is great, however as you already know we run a similar Forum called 'Twitter Car Dealers' which FREE to use if you are in the trade and is strictly TRADE ONLY, the advantage of this is that dealers are certainly more frank when they post they are also happier that the public cannot see some of the information posted.

Best of luck and thank you for giving us the opportunity to shape the Car Dealer Mag of the future

Jim

Here is an example - i am getting frustrated at staff leaving computers running each night, what products could i use to stop this, and i mean like a fancy plug with a timer which can be switched off via a smart phone not a big stick

App of the month is a must now a days surely?

• Like 1

Should do my own column at this rate, Training, a feature on a training course available, this could be anything from SEO / Service skills / Closing techniques the list would be endless

I think most of what could be added has already been said i.e. best practice examples, real stories about different business's even sharing additional profit areas that some dealers use and others night not even have thought about ! all these 'little' things help each other.

Thanks again for a GREAT mag and well done again for the deserving award ! 

Keep up the GREAT work!

Agree with Gavin

Focus on used cars more rather than new

Go round an do some interviews with used dealers and get their story 

Have a monthly mechanics feature tips of the trade/repair procedures some car salesman I know, know didly squat about mechanics. 

Horror stories about cars we have purchased or taken in part exchange!!  The best buying guides are learning from other who have suffered !!!!  We all know a BMW 320D is better with SAT NAV etc etc but may not be aware of the dangers of an 2003 Audi RS6 !!

Well done for winning the award. A big pat on the back :).

For me, the new car reviews are not much interest to me as they are no relevance. I would love to see more articles and reviews geared towards the used car industry, for example apps that could help, reviews on new products to make our lives easier. Like valeting products, new schemes and software, new potential suppliers.

Rather than reviewing so many brand new cars, maybe review cars that are coming up for 18 months or 2 years from release, so that we can read the good bits and bad bits about cars we could potentially buy in for stock. Actually that would be a great idea, perhaps including the different spec levels and the differences and then a desirability rating. 

Then cars we really should avoid for stock due to the amount of warranty claims associated with them etc....

... that is my idea.

Once again, congratulations with the award.

James

• Like 1