Having just had a very lengthy and complicated conversation with an operative at the wonderful DVLA, this is our understanding of the situation regarding cars in stock with valid RFL come October 1st. If the DVLA have been notified that 'the vehicle is in trade' prior to 1st October , then the RFL stays with the car until expiry, even when re registered to the next owner. If the car has not been registered as in trade come 1st October, then the RFL on the car is refunded back to the previous keeper when it is re registered after this date, as this will inform the dvla of the disposal of the vehicle by the previous keeper. It is the notification of disposal of a car which triggers the RFL refund. If anyone has any ideas on how we can continue to drive taxed trade cars going forward after the 1st October without self registering/taxing used cars, we would love to know ??!! Cheers Karl Ridley @AutocarsHull

• Like 3

Its the registered  owner's responsibility to send off the yellow slip, if the don't the car is still tax'ed and no refund issued. I get the feeling many rouge traders will understand this and do everything they can to keep hold of the V5C/3 promising to do it for the customer and never sending it off. 

Interesting that cars showing as in 'Trade' before 1st October will stay tax'ed until it expiries. I'm guessing we could all tax a car in September and run it for a year without registering it to ourselves. 

Going forward I've decided to register a car to the business (a 1 or 2 owner car) run it for 3-6 months then change it. I do feel for the genuine traders who for doing that isn't ideal but I feel more for the young/new people coming into the trade, driving a different car each night was one of the fun parts of the job when I was younger, almost an education in what can and will go wrong with cars!!!

One plus point is that the rouge traders are more often now getting reported, hence I have the pleasure of passing clamped cars today !

Having just had a very lengthy and complicated conversation with an operative at the wonderful DVLA, this is our understanding of the situation regarding cars in stock with valid RFL come October 1st. If the DVLA have been notified that 'the vehicle is in trade' prior to 1st October , then the RFL stays with the car until expiry, even when re registered to the next owner. If the car has not been registered as in trade come 1st October, then the RFL on the car is refunded back to the previous keeper when it is re registered after this date, as this will inform the dvla of the disposal of the vehicle by the previous keeper. It is the notification of disposal of a car which triggers the RFL refund. If anyone has any ideas on how we can continue to drive taxed trade cars going forward after the 1st October without self registering/taxing used cars, we would love to know ??!! Cheers Karl Ridley @AutocarsHull

OK

So, that's now 2 individuals from the DVLA with 2 different interpretations of what is going to happen.

From our perspective, this is much fairer, but, nevertheless, there's nothing actually in writing confirming anything.

And until we get that, I'm not taking anything for granted.