When does a car review REALLY influence a car sale?

Chris Evans has slammed the new Toyota Aygo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2695945/Chris-Evans-reviews-Toyota-Aygo-If-appalling-Aygo-car-I-owned-Id-say-Ill-never-drive-again.html

Despite the car getting favourable views across the board – including Car Dealer – Evans believes it is a one-star car.

My question is: Do 'celebrity' or 'celebrity-endorsed' car reviews help sell cars? And if a car has a bad review from a celebrity, does it affect selling that car in your showroom?

I would imagine a serious review would have more bearing on how a car sells rather then a 'entertainment' review written by someone like Jeremy Clarkson or Chris Evans. I remember it used to be the same with music magazines, ask someone who's trying to be cool and cutting edge to review the lastest Coldplay album and it will get slatted no matter how good or bad, ask them to review the lastest 'folk electro' from a North Korean Brass Band and its will get 5 stars. 

I think it's fair to say Evans 'phoned through' his thoughts to a scribbler who then penned that piece. Most city car buyers wouldn't be interested in a DJ's views but it's hardly a good bit of PR is it?

As Toyota's head of PR told me, he wanted to say 'Go Gun Yourself' to Evans but thought better of it.

Not saying its much of a review, but i generally call my boss a cock as he's buying an Audi, and i am fairly sure this nickname came from Clarkson. 

Not sure Ed is going to like this one, as i am sure he still has a shiny R8 

Do agree with some of the reviews but usually try to listen to several, and read Car Dealer Mag for the proper advice. 

• Like 1