What do YOU want to ask the DVLA?

There's currently a similar thread to this on the Auto Trader's 'Community' pages and they seemed to have gleaned some more information from the DVLA - most of which we seem to know, so I won't bother to copy and paste the whole thing here.

However worryingly, the final Q&A relates to the point that I raised ages ago and their answer is as follows:

If a car is "in trade" before 1st October 2014 and the current tax disc expires after 1st October, what will happen?

Any taxed vehicle currently in the trade where the tax disc expires after 1st October, will result in the tax being terminated at the point the vehicle is sold to a new keeper. No refund will be paid if the vehicle is registered as disposed to trade. Only if the trader is registered as keeper will a refund be paid.

My reading of this is that it appears that any vehicles that are 'in trade' (i.e. yellow slip sent off) and taxed will ceased to be taxed after the 1st October ONCE SOLD.

In other words, the new keeper will have to tax it, however NO REFUND WILL BE MADE on the unexpired tax.

Is it just me, or is this outrageous?
  • Like 1

I think it's the main pain of all this !

That and every car taken in will be auto untaxed as it were, and WE are responsible for making sure dvla are notified

Interesting.

So that's now THREE different interpretations.

And yes Countryman, if true, it absolutely is outrageous.

Maybe this should be moved to the Frauds & Scams thread?

• Like 3

There's currently a similar thread to this on the Auto Trader's 'Community' pages and they seemed to have gleaned some more information from the DVLA - most of which we seem to know, so I won't bother to copy and paste the whole thing here.

However worryingly, the final Q&A relates to the point that I raised ages ago and their answer is as follows:

If a car is "in trade" before 1st October 2014 and the current tax disc expires after 1st October, what will happen?

Any taxed vehicle currently in the trade where the tax disc expires after 1st October, will result in the tax being terminated at the point the vehicle is sold to a new keeper. No refund will be paid if the vehicle is registered as disposed to trade. Only if the trader is registered as keeper will a refund be paid.

My reading of this is that it appears that any vehicles that are 'in trade' (i.e. yellow slip sent off) and taxed will ceased to be taxed after the 1st October ONCE SOLD.

In other words, the new keeper will have to tax it, however NO REFUND WILL BE MADE on the unexpired tax.

Is it just me, or is this outrageous?

Hi countryman. Yep, we can confirm this is correct. In the same way that if a consumer sells their car in the future on the 2nd of the month, their tax expires and they get no refund for that month, whereas the new owner has to tax from the start of that Month.

This is surely double taxation, which i seem to think was not supposed to happen.