Sign in to follow this  
c_cars

Worst 'get away' lines ever...

We've all had them, the things a customer will say to get away from a deal there and then..

Just had the worst one Ive ever had just now:

Girl has been emailing me about our very competitively priced Astra SRi sporthatch for the last few days. Usual questions, when can I view, can't get there straight away, can I finance it, can I drive it away,etc etc to which Ive tried everything to close her and get a deposit. Finally turns up today with boyfriend and father in tow, yet stays sat in her fathers car.

Father and boyfriend are in and out of the car, over it, under it, looking down the sides, touching the tyres like they do. Didnt even get to the drive it stage when the father comes out with 'Its too expensive, its been a lease car. Thanks anway' and they both walk off.

Im left in a state of shock wondering, 'is it only me that gets these?'

We all get them, it would be nice if they just said a simple "nice car, but not really for us". It seems they have to find a reason to criticise the car to justify walking away.

I had a random one the other day, he walks in the office and states

'Your CR-V is a bit expensive, bit over priced'  (its up for £11450)

Me "I don't think so, given all the spec its got on it, SAT NAV, LEather etc"

Him " I use a Map, prefer cloth and hate sunroofs"

Me "Well it's not the car for you. So are you looking for a CR-V then?"

Him "Yes, want to spend £10k on a basic model, same age and mileage as that"

Me "So mine isn't over priced considering SAT NAV and Leather etc give about a £2k premium over a base model"

Him - Blank look and a few muttered words.

I think some people see us as the enemy and they have to prove us wrong at any given time. Don't ask me why, either that or a fair few people don't have the social skills to comunicate what they really want to say.

• Like 1

We do get them all - don't we ! think Gavin you're right some of them don't have the social skills so communicate and that's where the message comes over wrong ! we try to defend the attack - its in our nature !

The strange thing with saying its not for me the sellers sometime don't like it to their face !  Had it this week where a company made an appointment for the sales rep to call in and see me , the information give to me was not what the salesman was told - he was selling me what he thought I wanted - I told him I'd told the girl I 'm not in the market but she obviously didn't care - just making appointments !

the salesman was most put out when I kept telling him sorry but I do not want what you're selling ! 'your' appointment rep mislead me and YOU!

I love the line one dealer told me he said to those who said they'd 'be back'.

'The be back bus doesn't stop here love. You need to buy it now...'

Brilliant.

• Like 2