Sign in to follow this  
Linctrader

Commission selling for other dealers - % to ask from sale?

Hi folks,

I'm well used to doing commission selling for private individuals but I have been approached by another small local dealer who has stock to shift but has lost interest due to other business interests.

They want me to sell the stock they have and tbh I don't think they have lots in them as they are all sub 5k. 

I normally take a fixed fee depending on the approx sale price of the car but sometimes work to a smaller fee and then a percentage split if I think the car has a chance above a certain value.

But selling another dealers stock I've not done. I've heard others saying they take stock to make their pitches look busy but I'm not needing that...ive heard others say they sell stock like this for £100 but that won't pay any bills...

So your thoughts on what I should be asking for in this situation would be appreciated. They will assume all responsibility for the car, but I will be marketing the cars, finding the buyer and making the deal happen plus after sale paperwork etc.

Thanks.

Edited by Linctrader

Agree with Tradex to be honest, i presume it would be a "you sold it, it's your issue conversation" also imagine having a conversation with the customer and explaining "i know i sold you the car but it wasn't actually one of my cars so you need to chase such and such who actually no longer trade etc.."

If they want rid and its good stock can you not buy it as yours and sell it as yours ? 

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it, its your name above the door and on the invoice and as Tadams says the buyer will say they bought it from you. how long has he had them on his pitch for and why hasn't he sold them himself - why does he think you'll be more successful? also you'd have to agree % discounts to give or be ringing him up with every offer you get on his cars - best to make him a reasonable offer as above and own them yourself

It sounds like you’re getting the sweepings left on the floor :lol:

Mind you if they’re sale or return, are prepped & ready to go then there can’t be much harm in it as long as you’re getting your slice out of it. I’d make sure they come juiced-up, do 20-30 miles in each one & those that are ok I’d advertise, those that show issues back heal. 

‘Lost interest due to other business interests’,I am very suspicious,be careful,they could belong to a third party.Things are often not what they seem in this job.Providing I could see the purchase invoices for each one,just bid on all of them and if the guy is genuine,you should get them at the right price.

Thank you guys for your input.

Well the story changed a little and what I thought was SOR turns out that they just expects their money back (unknown and they could have overpaid) plus a fixed amount on top per unit. 

My problem is that I then assume all responsibility for stock I haven't bought (and tbh it's not what I'm really into but why pass on an opportunity to make some dosh) and in a short message the deal I was originally presented with gets reversed in their favour.

So it's not such a good deal anymore. 

Why does business have to be so complicated?

Hahaha, so they ARE the sweepings left over. 

AND they expect their money back despite the passage of time.

AND they want a profit as well!

F*** me, God loves a tryer, and those boys are certainly tryers.

I assume you’ve laughed in their faces & told them to keep them.

• Like 1

Lost interest actually translates to "its harder than it looks this cars sales lark, so can you sell the cars for me and ill take all the profit from your work ?"

Its really a dead opportunity, as they want their money back plus a fixed amount so any negotiation on price from the customer comes of your cut as they have already fixed there's.

I'd doth my cap, wish them good luck, offer a firm hand shake and bid them farewell then steal them of ebay in a few weeks when every other dealer local has said the same as you. 

Yeah it wasn't much of an opportunity for anyone apart from themselves.

Ah well, it's a shame but no tears will be shed here :lol: