Sign in to follow this  
D4B

Discovery 4

Many apologies for posting here, I will happily pay Arfur his going rate for advice!!!! 

I used to buy and sell a few cars and have lurked here watching the coming and goings for some time as a member of the public 

I’m after opinion on the situation we find ourselves in.

I bought an approved used Disco 4 from our local main dealer without physically checking the history before sale. I asked the salesman if it had Land Rover fsh to which he replied yes. As there is no book and it’s all online I took his word.

long story short, after 3 breakdowns in a month I started to get grumpy and asked different dealer who was fixing car to show me history on line. It missed a service essentially.

Supplying dealer has offered to extend warranty, I’m happy at response, should I be or does the SDV6 need to be serviced religiously. All Land Rover dealers I have asked are extremely vague on the subject

Thanks

Had a visit from a warrant rep that I know very well recently. Told me that stratstone, our local land-rover dealer are having to buy back lots of nearly new vehicles under the consumer rights act due to faults. Personally I try and steer clear of these due to the constant problems they seem to come with eg air suspension, gearbox issues etc. Very poor for such an expensive brand. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum D4B. In my book, the car has clearly been misrepresented, you were deceived by the salesman. Without a full LRSH, its value is diminished and might cause futurfe warranty claims. If you paid top dollar for a clear diamond you wouldn't expect it to have inclusions...... Looking at the "LR approved" site, all vehicles are checked and come with a full history.....

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/commitment

• Like 1

They're called Discoveries because every day you discover a new problem:P

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies.

The missing service is exactly that, a period of 32k miles and 19 months without a service.

The faults are minor, but have all prevented forward motion, one failed air flow sensor and twice charging system fault, traced in 1 minute to incorrectly fitted battery terminals by second dealer - infuriating and avoidable.

The supplying dealer are responding very well and are taking the breakdowns and missing service seriously, I have no issues with them, I went into Land Rover ownership fully expecting to spend time at the side of the road so am not so far disappointed!!!! 

I don’t want them to take the car back, we like it a lot, and I’m comfortable with Land Rover after sales support, they seem to acknowledge their products are less than perfect and put systems in place to minimise disruption to the customer 

My only worry is the possibility of a worn engine giving me issues further down the line, it’s a powerful 3 litre engine with just 5.9 litres of oil to protect it , should I take the extra warranty and forget it, or replace the car for one with a proper and full history. I know the future can’t be predicted, but if the engine has a reputation for internal failures I’d rather deal with it whilst the dealer is playing ball than 4 years down the line when I have to fork out for engine repairs 

If you've grown to like the car, put your trust in it and maintain it well :) I would PX it though before the warranty period ends.

Got to love land rovers, easy to sell hard to maintain. If it was sold as FSH but clearly isnt then surely thats deception and the ball is in your court. 

Thanks for the replies

Service interval is 12 months 16k miles nowadays 

We are planning to keep the vehicle for as long as we can, it does 25k a year, so swapping our cars frequently would be an expensive exercise 

Hopefully any issues will flush out before we hit the end of the warranty 

Thanks once again

4 hours ago, D4B said:

We are planning to keep the vehicle for as long as we can, it does 25k a year, so swapping our cars frequently would

a non service in 32,000 miles would have me rejecting

You know how the 3.0 Diesel is to be avoided in 2013 RR & RRS due to a locating tab on the crank failing and seizing the engine, is this an issue on Discos ?