Sign in to follow this  
grant8064

Courtesy Cars

Given your wealth of knowledge I thought I would pick your brains:

We currently do not offer a courtesy car but would like to. There's nothing worse than a purchased car going wrong a week down the line and not having a vehicle to stick the customer in to ease some of the pain. 

The garage we use for repairs also do not offer one.

I'm aware that we don't have an obligation to offer one but it would make life easier.

So my question is, from your experiences, what are the problems, pitfalls, issues etc before we commit to it?

Hi Grant,we have always had 3 courtesey cars to keep our punters happy(we stock about 50/60 cars and hopefully do 8/10 per week)we do a fair bit of aftersales servicing/repairs etc so not just used for warranty work,could not manage life without them as it keeps all happy,we usually source our courtesey cars from bca over winter time when prices a bit lower,dont have anything fancy just some 3/4 year old samllish cars wich we put on our traders policy,reagrds,.Peter

If you are going to do it,you have to do it right,there are pitfalls.You cannot just give somebody a car and tell them it is on their insurance.We did that years ago and the punter bent the car.It was inspected and found to have a defective h/brake,we were liable.Another fine mess to get out of.You need to have an ins policy allowing you to lend out cars and they have to be right. Then you have to get the punter to sign an appropriate permission form before they go etc 

Mk2 Ford Focus will do the trick, you can pick up a decent one for under £1k and not the end of the world if they get pranged.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

I agree @trade vet about insurance.

My main reasons for considering it now is we are likely to expand quite soon so will be doing more volume, hopefully, and therefore more sold cars back in the garage, unfortunately.

Secondly, our trade insurance is up soon so we can re negotiate our terms to include it.

I was considering an old shape 06/07 CMax because it suits most people. Big enough for people that buy a car for work (just buy new if it's that important!!!!!) and the three individual seats for families. Given our stock profile a Ford is a good mid range car too so it won't feel too disappointing to be given.

To those doing it already...would you recommend just a valid MOT and recent service or is there a more stringent maintenance schedule needed as it's being lent out to joe public without a day old PDI?

Most  insurance companies allow use of a courtesy car for upto 7 days whilst theirs is being repaired. I use a courtesy car although it rarely gets used it there if you need it. 5 Door Toyota Aygo is plenty for most and only £20 tax. 

paperwork

or dont do it

theres no way i would want this on my insurance