Hi,

First post not sure if in correct forum, apologies if not appropriate.

Here goes

I am a part time car trader from home. I sold a vehicle to a private buyer on ebay. The chap messaged me the same day complaining that the start/stop does not work. The car was taken in part exchange and the previous owner did very short journeys then I had it parked for a month. Online forums and the handbook shows that start/stop becomes unavailable if the car is not driven on long journeys as the battery is not fully charged also if ac on screen heater on etc

Basically it is designed like this from the manufacturers. I immediately offered a full refund and I will collect the car but he refused and wants some money to compensate. Where do I stand as this is not a fault just a manufacturer design. Thank you in advance.

There is no fault with the car - All Stop/Start systems are like this, so this is just customer ignorance.

You shouldn't have offered them a refund as there is no fault.

Instead educate the customer! Show them the handbook or email them the link and tell them to read what the manufacturer of the car says about who it works.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

There is no fault with the car - All Stop/Start systems are like this, so this is just customer ignorance.

You shouldn't have offered them a refund as there is no fault.

Instead educate the customer! Show them the handbook or email them the link and tell them to read what the manufacturer of the car says about who it works.

Exactly this. He's just trying it on, clearly happy with the car as he's refused a refund. Just hoping to get a few quid back, complete chancer......

In your opinion what constitutes a trade sale? Was the buyer in the motor trade?

Thanks guys...

He won the car over a £1,000 cheaper than what they are worth. The buyer is not in the trade, he is a lawyer. 

I was gutted the car went so cheap but I kept my word and delivered to him. 

I'm only a part time trader from home but I have realised that buyers do try this sort of thing more and more often. 

He has no intention of a refund and I have sent several replies stating it is a manufacturer's design. 

See what happens now as he has replied with "don't worry for NOW I will do some further checks"

Same you've done nothing wrong other than suggest it was a trade sale (as it's not).

I had a Yaris with same thing, battery was low after being in body shop for bumper repair and start/stop function switched itself off for couple of days until battery was recharged.

38 minutes ago, Sam said:

he is a lawyer. 

Let's hope he doesn't actually get a problem......

No I was completely honest and told him I sell cars part time alongside another job. I never have or will ever try avoiding consumer trading regulations and the car was described exceptionally well and accurately. 

See what happens now as he did mention he does not want to put a blemish on my otherwise perfect feedback for the last 10 years on ebay.

dont sell proper cars on auction its madness 

only do it with leginns/lemons  properly described,this way your feedback will not be ruined ..

Thanks s and b

Update:

Buyer said start and stop started working after a long journey and gave me positive feedback :)

Will definately take this feedback on board and thank you everyone who took the time out to advise me. I hope I can return the favour in the future.

Sam

• Like 1