Sign in to follow this  
dannybondwork

Vehicle Sourcing/Online Sales

Is anyone here in the vehicle sourcing market?

The company I work for did just under 800 cars last year and carried less than 5% in stock. 

The rest was from trade networks where we put the images out of the car and if somebody wants it and passes finance we go out and buy it , put the warranty on and sell to the customer. 

No showrooms, no test drives.

I know its very niche in the UK as some are worried about the distant selling act but we only had 2 out of the nearly 800 sold. 

Is there anyone else doing this? Would be good to know how you handle your customer base :)

Did somebody ask how cars are making near-retail money at auction?

Great plan. Nick everybody else's experience, knowledge, skill, photos and advert. Mislead potential customers by pretending to own the stock. Take deposits under same misleading pretence. Try and buy car for less than 'sold' for. No prep, no FCA, no overheads. No mention of what happens if it can't be bought. Suspect deposits are difficult to get back.

And the rest of the motortrade is left to pick up the pieces.

Welcome to 2017. 

*Theme tune to Only Fools and Horses*

Someone I know who sells very, very high end cars gets a lot of his own stock offered back to him by these 'broker types' :lol::lol:

6 hours ago, justina3 said:

Am i guessing your not a fan of the scheme ? 

Maybe that question should be asked of the Traders that spend their own money on business premises and stock and run a properly-funded, VAT registered, FCA &Trading Standards approved business in full compliance of all current tax and business legislation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dannybondwork said:

Would be good to know how you handle your customer base :)

Ours are pretty simple...

Normally have a bit of a chat first and wander around the forecourt working out what they need vs what they want vs what they can afford.

Next step is jump in a few cars...nothing better than getting in a few cabins and seeing what they're like in reality compared to what google says they look like.

Test drive the couple of cars we've both whittled it down to.

DEAL.

A few days later we'll see them again with a fresh MOT to wave and show them the boring bits (how to open the fuel filler, adjust the seat and explain how cruise works if they've forgotten).

Wish them well and wave goodbye...not before explaining if there are any issues to drop in or give us a bell because WE WILL be there to help.

Couple of weeks later we'll occasionally give them directions/drive them up to our garage for a minor fix on something.

And finally...say hello to them in Greggs, Tesco or the post office a few months down the line. Ask how they're getting on with the car and wave when they drive past.

Gonna pass on it thanks dannybondwork but fair play for trying. For me the business model sums up everything that is wrong with the world and I honestly think most of the guys on here feel the same. My rant is simply because this kind of 'lowest price denominator' really winds me up. I know my cars are more expensive than the local supermarket, it's because I am better than them and genuinely care about my customers...not hitting target each month.

(If you get someone after a 60 plate S40 in boring grey with billy basic spec and 6k though PM me!)

• Like 2