Sign in to follow this  
metcars

MODS - General dealer chat

Along the lines of other forums, would it be prudent to make the General dealer chat section only visible after you've signed in to the website. I personally argued against a private members section, but I've noticed a thread running on here that really shouldn't be on an open forum and where the poster doesn't qualify for the 'secret' club?

7 hours ago, Cornish Guy said:

Will not make any difference as Joe Public already logs onto this forum.

Only because they can so easily find the dealer posts on google

9 hours ago, metcars said:

Along the lines of other forums, would it be prudent to make the General dealer chat section only visible after you've signed in to the website. I personally argued against a private members section, but I've noticed a thread running on here that really shouldn't be on an open forum and where the poster doesn't qualify for the 'secret' club?

Ha I was only thinking the very same thing!! If it were me because the forum is so open I wouldn't have posted that saga in the first place. Even most FB club's are set to private these days and some require proof of xxx to gain entry. I've always been puzzled as to why this forum is so open and am not sure what the benefit is and to whom?

That's one of the reasons I hardly post anything of real importance... and that's a shame as it's good to share!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Ha I was only thinking the very same thing!! If it were me because the forum is so open I wouldn't have posted that saga in the first place. Even most FB club's are set to private these days and some require proof of xxx to gain entry. I've always been puzzled as to why this forum is so open and am not sure what the benefit is and to whom?

That's one of the reasons I hardly post anything of real importance... and that's a shame as it's good to share!

I didn't agree with the 'secret club' and debated against it, but I do think the 'general discussion' section should be hidden without signing in. I like to think that other motor traders can find help or assistance on this forum from the Car Dealer Magazine "collective", even though they might have just started up, we were all newbies once after all! I've met some really nice guys on this forum that are hugely intelligent and successful, and good for them, but sadly there are also a few guys that appear to be unwilling to contribute and view anyone other than their 'clique' with paranoid suspicion and derision?

Shame?

6 hours ago, metcars said:

I didn't agree with the 'secret club' and debated against it, but I do think the 'general discussion' section should be hidden without signing in. I like to think that other motor traders can find help or assistance on this forum from the Car Dealer Magazine "collective", even though they might have just started up, we were all newbies once after all! I've met some really nice guys on this forum that are hugely intelligent and successful, and good for them, but sadly there are also a few guys that appear to be unwilling to contribute and view anyone other than their 'clique' with paranoid suspicion and derision?

Shame?

Yep totally agree with your last sentence as I have witnessed that on here in the past, and it did put me off posting initially due to some hostility towards new members. I've never understood the mentality to be honest, as firstly there is no such thing as too much competition when it comes to business, and secondly as you say we were all new once and needed advice or guidance.

I don't think the forum being private would make any difference from a help and support perspective to established or new dealers for that matter. It's just a few formalities regarding proof of trading to gain access and if everyone's a bonafide dealer then that shouldn't be too much of a hurdle to meet the criteria. Anyway it's kind of immaterial now with the private lounge I guess!

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yep totally agree with your last sentence as I have witnessed that on here in the past, and it did put me off posting initially due to some hostility towards new members. I've never understood the mentality to be honest, as firstly there is no such thing as too much competition when it comes to business, and secondly as you say we were all new once and needed advice or guidance.

I don't think the forum being private would make any difference from a help and support perspective to established or new dealers for that matter. It's just a few formalities regarding proof of trading to gain access and if everyone's a bonafide dealer then that shouldn't be too much of a hurdle to meet the criteria. Anyway it's kind of immaterial now with the private lounge I guess!

Ironically, no special requirements to qualify for a subscription to Car Dealer Magazine, but then "dodgy dealers" probably can't read:D

19 hours ago, metcars said:

Ironically, no special requirements to qualify for a subscription to Car Dealer Magazine, but then "dodgy dealers" probably can't read:D

I have no idea what you just said! Please can you write it again using just pictures!? :P:lol:

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I have no idea what you just said! Please can you write it again using just pictures!? :P:lol:

:D