Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Speedo change

How does the CarDealer collective deal with a 'straight' car that's had a speedo change. In the old days this would be classed as a "story car", but with punters able to check online MOT history, if they see a bump in the mileage they quite rightly shy away. So, how do you guys handle this. Attempt to explain it in the advertising, or don't mention it and tell the story to a punter in person. Car in question. Full history Ford Focus with a documented instrument cluster change a few years back. Now showing 59,000, speedo changed in '09 with 32,000 showing. I should point out that otherwise, a nice car?

Focus' are known for instrument cluster failure, so its not a surprise to me as such. In fact its the second this year I've had for sale. The last one took 'some' explaining to be honest!

Edited by metcars

Like you say, they're very common, but personally I stay away from them. Just not worth the grief IMHO. This job is hard enough with the general public being overly suspicious, why give them more ammunition??

Think your last sentence tells you what you need to know.....

Edited by Ocsltd

Virtually every renault megane scenic that i ever come into contact with (usually by part exchange) has a new digi dash fitted, no problem really if you have proof of the changed unit and it stacks up with the MOT history. Some customers will shy away from this type thing and some really dont care if the price is right and you have the documentation. 

I just wouldnt go out of my way looking for something like this.

• Like 2

Unfortunately its just a fact of life , if it has then not much that be done - it doesnt really put me off buying a car with a speedo change as long as its documented correctly - not had one for a long long while !

Did have a strange situation about 18 months looking at a Bentley , customer told me it was only 18,000 miles , her late husband's car, went to see her checking all the paper work -' speedo changed' old speedo 38000 miles - when I showed the lady this information she didn't have a clue , her friend who 'seemed' to know it all said well its not an issue is it ..??? No issue but its no longer as desirable and value's are different ! wouldn't have it so walked away from it.  It was all stamped up properly by the Bentley dealer in the service book and a letter confirming the changes.  

46 minutes ago, umesh said:

Unfortunately its just a fact of life , if it has then not much that be done - it doesnt really put me off buying a car with a speedo change as long as its documented correctly - not had one for a long long while !

Did have a strange situation about 18 months looking at a Bentley , customer told me it was only 18,000 miles , her late husband's car, went to see her checking all the paper work -' speedo changed' old speedo 38000 miles - when I showed the lady this information she didn't have a clue , her friend who 'seemed' to know it all said well its not an issue is it ..??? No issue but its no longer as desirable and value's are different ! wouldn't have it so walked away from it.  It was all stamped up properly by the Bentley dealer in the service book and a letter confirming the changes.  

Renault's that have had speedo changes are a thing of the past for me, but if I do get one in and the customer pulls a funny face I'm going to quote this story if you don't mind :) 

• Like 1

We deal in bog standard used so get plenty of Astras, Focus and Renaults with speedo changes. Steer well clear when we're buying (just not worth the hassle) but get lots in chop with this issue.

Usual procedure for us is to bid them a fair bit below book and retail the car a fair bit below book accordingly. If the price is right and the history shows it clearly we find it easy enough to explain and mention that it is reflected in the price. We also ALWAYS mention it in the advert because it sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Those that question it too much we decline selling to as they show signs of being hassle...those that understand the reason and are happy with the paperwork usually buy and we never hear from again.

If the paperwork is a bit iffy or the car smells wrong we trade it out (again explaining the speedo change circumstances).

Honesty is the best policy in my book.

never found a way of explaining it and getting a sale so not for me thanks