SK Motors

Displaying Trade plates?

Can anyone clarify how Trade plates should be displayed by law ?

I've been putting them in the front windscreen and rear window for the last few years with no issues but I've just heard from someone who got stopped by the Police as the original VRM was on display. The Police say the Trade plates should cover the original VRM.

However, my insurance company says the original VRM should NOT be covered and putting the Trade plates in the front and rear windows is perfectly fine !

I think the trade plates should cover the VRM, however i just put one on the dashboard. sometimes we forget to take the dealer show plates off the front and have driven by a police car .......

The rules always have been and more important than ever now , The original number plate must be covered and not displayed , the issue now  is if you plate gets picked up by an anpr camera it will show the car is not taxed and you get fined regardless the plates are in the front & rear window. You need cover the plates your insurance company is wrong , hence on the MID your trade plates should be noted. 

• Like 1

what i find with most of the modern cars with parking sensors is that they interfere and drive you mad, i'm not sure i would like to stick them to the front of a number plate either for fear of them flying off.

12 minutes ago, umesh said:

The rules always have been and more important than ever now , The original number plate must be covered and not displayed , the issue now  is if you plate gets picked up by an anpr camera it will show the car is not taxed and you get fined regardless the plates are in the front & rear window. You need cover the plates your insurance company is wrong , hence on the MID your trade plates should be noted. 

My trade plates are added onto my trade policy. My insurance company were saying the original VRM shouldn't be covered as it could be a stolen car for example and the Police wouldn't be able to see the VRM.

I just wanted to check on here before buying trade plate holders etc so thanks for replying.

What are regarded as the best plate holders as I really don't like the idea of the plates flying off somewhere ?

16 minutes ago, SK Motors said:

My trade plates are added onto my trade policy. My insurance company were saying the original VRM shouldn't be covered as it could be a stolen car for example and the Police wouldn't be able to see the VRM.

I just wanted to check on here before buying trade plate holders etc so thanks for replying.

What are regarded as the best plate holders as I really don't like the idea of the plates flying off somewhere ?

Strangely enough the Police have similar issues .. The valeting company I use the driver got pulled a few months back in a Subaru WRX - They followed him and then pulled him over as the original plates were hidden behind the trade plates , He said similar however its the DVLA that decide the correct display and fines, so very mixed messages out there ..but I do remember a dealer who got fined ( This was mentioned on TCD Forum- Can't remember who ) for having plates in the window - original plate got picked up by camera and DVLA Advising him that plates should be covered. 

• Like 1

I spoke to dvla a couple of years ago and they said it is illegal for the plates to be displayed in the window.

You could get fines through for untaxed car or unpaid tolls on tunnels/bridges.

we bought the sucker things which work really well.

I've bought a set of the plate holders for  £15 which has 2 suction cups and a bungee cord for each plate.

Ironically, I used them for the first time yesterday and past one of those DVLA camera vans with the 4 cameras on the roof !

The car I was driving wasn't taxed so I'm guessing had I not covered the VRM I would've potentially got fined for no tax and not displaying the trade plates correctly.

I had a caution last time but in bold letters said they would not let me off again. 

What I wonder about is if the plates are blanked out, there is no way to id the vehicle, that itself is massive risk, why would the ANPR and DVLA just think about it as a money grabbing exercise? We are professionals at our jobs.

My thoughts exactly. If somebody wanted to move a dodgy car around, they've made it a lot easier.

In theory, you could completely remove the original plates and stick the trade plates on.

We have removed the originals in the past and put trade plates in place.

I have never had a problem personally, but have heard lots of issues from fellow traders.