Sign in to follow this  
It's me

lada with original tyres

just pulled this out of one of the lockups, been there since 1988,its got new plugs new leads and fresh duckhans 20/50 and a new quinton Hazel oil filter all sourced as original when this lada was imported new in 87,i wonder if I put it in auction if it will attain the same price as 4 tomatoes are down sainsbobs

Memories,memories ,it’s a future classic ! Ladas ! they were good news,easy to sell,never needed paintwork,good punters ,no come backs.Those were the days,if the millennials only knew the way it was !I still remember one punter who we sold a 2 year old one to for about £1500 with a 10 year old Lada swapper for £100 and he said “ people laugh at me but the comp insurance is £100,I don’t need to lock it up,nobody will steal it and they never go wrong.I also know someone who was a Ford dealer sales manager ( as they were called then ) who then set up on his own in Newcastle and got a Lada franchise , he became one of the biggest Lada dealers in the UK.It might do £2000 in Brightwells Classic sale………Wonderfull !

• Like 1

My memory’s not what it was, but weren’t  the importers concerned about low spec and dressed them up with wheel trims, stickers and radios. 

1 hour ago, metcars said:

My memory’s not what it was, but weren’t  the importers concerned about low spec and dressed them up with wheel trims, stickers and radios. 

savage 500 wheel trims on lada before they were named rivas

when we got the samara they came with a full bodykit

1 hour ago, metcars said:

Not only the importers,In the early 80’s ,dressing up your stock was a trend.Vinyl roofs,plastic sun roofs ,trim rings ,coach lines ,DIY white wall tyres etc. You could then describe them as a Special Edition .I think we did a Datsun Sunny Celebration Special Edition ,I didn’t need to with Ladas,they were bog standard !

19 minutes ago, It's me said:

savage 500 wheel trims on lada before they were named rivas

when we got the samara they came with a full bodykit

Yes Savage wheel trims !  I had forgotten about Samaras,I once used one of them as a local smoker for a month or two .I made a point of parking it next to the bullshitters/gobshites  ‘chucky’d up ‘ smokers with shit personal plates at the local BCA ,just to annoy them !

• Thanks 1

I had the dubious pleasure of blowing a big lump of money on a samurai aptly name I was taking it to the auctions to sell as no interest from the autotrader advert,it dropped a big end on the way there and engines weren't available,sold it from the back pages the following week underscores or repairs,he's probably still got it:lol:

Bought a 2 year 11month skoda estelle as it had a scrape on a wheel arch,with it being that new no paint available in a rattlecan so I went to the main dealer big place even then,they basically said go away we don't do that old crap anymore we are selling the felicia models now

OK they were better cars but they rotted like wet kellogs cornflakes boxes left out in the rain,still not sure how to take a battery out of one

36 minutes ago, It's me said:

I had the dubious pleasure of blowing a big lump of money on a samurai aptly name I was taking it to the auctions to sell as no interest from the autotrader advert,it dropped a big end on the way there and engines weren't available,sold it from the back pages the following week underscores or repairs,he's probably still got it:lol:

Bought a 2 year 11month skoda estelle as it had a scrape on a wheel arch,with it being that new no paint available in a rattlecan so I went to the main dealer big place even then,they basically said go away we don't do that old crap anymore we are selling the felicia models now

OK they were better cars but they rotted like wet kellogs cornflakes boxes left out in the rain,still not sure how to take a battery out of one

Ha Ha never had a Samurai but did plenty of Estelles ,they were cheap .Another blast from the past or distant past,I tried to advertise a Moskvich Van in the local rag in the early 70’s when the unions were causing havoc.The advert was refused because I described it as “will carry 50,000 strike leaflets “.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:38 AM, metcars said:

Back in the days of Martin Austin I think?

20 hours ago, trade vet said:

Ha Ha never had a Samurai but did plenty of Estelles ,they were cheap .Another blast from the past or distant past,I tried to advertise a Moskvich Van in the local rag in the early 70’s when the unions were causing havoc.The advert was refused because I described it as “will carry 50,000 strike leaflets “.

Never owned a moskvich van but in 73/74 I was working with a bloke who bought a brand new one in battleship grey (trends eh,they always come back:lol:) anyway he had had it 2 days and we were sat in it and the screen exploded,we both jumped and thought we had been shot,memory says it was a 2 stroke but I'm not sure

On 3/7/2023 at 9:25 AM, trade vet said:

Not only the importers,In the early 80’s ,dressing up your stock was a trend.Vinyl roofs,plastic sun roofs ,trim rings ,coach lines ,DIY white wall tyres etc. You could then describe them as a Special Edition .I think we did a Datsun Sunny Celebration Special Edition ,I didn’t need to with Ladas,they were bog standard !

Yes Savage wheel trims !  I had forgotten about Samaras,I once used one of them as a local smoker for a month or two .I made a point of parking it next to the bullshitters/gobshites  ‘chucky’d up ‘ smokers with shit personal plates at the local BCA ,just to annoy them !

Savage wheel trims! :D

what about those ‘universal fit’ centre consoles with cassette storage you got from Halfords? And those cheap mats that always ended up wedged behind the peddles!

48 minutes ago, metcars said:

Savage wheel trims! :D

what about those ‘universal fit’ centre consoles with cassette storage you got from Halfords? And those cheap mats that always ended up wedged behind the peddles!

I still buy those cheap mats off ebay:lol:

They make photos look mint but you nearly crack a bone when you get in car and they slide

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, It's me said:

I still buy those cheap mats off ebay:lol:

They make photos look mint but you nearly crack a bone when you get in car and they slide

Seriously. I recently treated myself to a ‘genuine’ set of Ford mats for my smoker and they are NOT what they used to be!

2 hours ago, metcars said:

Seriously. I recently treated myself to a ‘genuine’ set of Ford mats for my smoker and they are NOT what they used to be!

Extraordinary ,lashing out on a new set of manufacturers mats !

We used to buy sets of mats for £5 from Macess ( remember them ) and give them to the punters on handover.

The mats weren’t that good but the packaging was and they were labelled ‘luxury car mats ‘. The punters loved them to the extent that when they returned for another car,they would often first enquire if they still got a set of luxury mats !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Extraordinary ,lashing out on a new set of manufacturers mats !

We used to buy sets of mats for £5 from Macess ( remember them ) and give them to the punters on handover.

The mats weren’t that good but the packaging was and they were labelled ‘luxury car mats ‘. The punters loved them to the extent that when they returned for another car,they would often first enquire if they still got a set of luxury mats !

Maccess, those were the days! Were those the same Luxury mats that the edges used to curl up?:D

• Haha 1