Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful South Martin

Nissan Note auto gearbox issues

Just bought a 45k Nisan Note 1.4 petrol auto and when driving it back from auction noticed a grating/catching noise. Thinking something had come adrift on the suspension or brakes booked into my local repairer. He has rang today to say everything is ok underneath but he thinks its a noise from the gearbox? I never had much to do with these Note auto's as normally buy them in manual. Ive got a good contact for gearbox repairs but he doesn't touch auto boxes. Any clues anybody to what it might be?...........Thanks

What model year?   I think first gen. (up to 2012) had a conventional 4 speed Jatco. Later had the Jatco CVT7 - troublesome...

Yes similar to juke/qashqai autos,different gearbox codes,but all suffer similar issues,mainly bearings breaking up and that causes the issues,there are a few indepentents that can rebuild......dartford transmissions/ratios gearbox west kingsdown/3d transmissions  reading/re--engineeeerered rainham/mister transmissin eltham,good luck

On 11/5/2022 at 1:15 PM, Beautiful South Martin said:

Just bought a 45k Nisan Note 1.4 petrol auto and when driving it back from auction noticed a grating/catching noise. Thinking something had come adrift on the suspension or brakes booked into my local repairer. He has rang today to say everything is ok underneath but he thinks its a noise from the gearbox? I never had much to do with these Note auto's as normally buy them in manual. Ive got a good contact for gearbox repairs but he doesn't touch auto boxes. Any clues anybody to what it might be?...........Thanks

Not a good thing those boxes , Need an Auto box guy , not many box repairers do both manual and auto . 

On 11/7/2022 at 6:30 PM, Beautiful South Martin said:

Yes its a 2014

ok. It has the Jatco CVT7 ('7' because its 7th generation, not 7 speed).  Its also known by various other Jatco designations depending on pulley size, belt width fitted...  e.g. JF011E. JF015E etc etc.  Its been fitted to various cars from Nissan, Mitsubishi, Suzuki etc.  But NOT Toyota or Honda (who make their own much better CVTs).

The CVT7 is my least-favourite CVT because they have lots of weaknesses and realistically you will struggle to get a decent long term repair done in the UK.  My suggestion is either a dealer recon unit (expensive!) or a known good secondhand unit. 

This article from the US gives more info...  https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/jf015e-common-issues/