Sign in to follow this  
DBCARS

*Advertising* Ebay Motors Pro vs Car Guru Paid Packages

Hi im a small used car dealer based in Leicestershire selling cars in the price range of £1995 - £4995 so im the bottom end of the Market. 

I currently hold stock around 15 cars and I advertise them on Autotrader PAY AS YOU GO single adverts 

Im finding the smaller engine cars and run of the mill stuff isn't selling too well on Autotrader so Im looking at other sites to take a pay monthly package on alongside Autotrader. 

So my only 2 options are 

Ebay Motors Pro which includes the websites Gumtree and Motors 

or 

Car Guru which includes Piston Heads

Ive checked similarweb.com to view the traffic and hits per month and Ive done some research amongst friends in the trade but its a very mixed bag. 

14 Cars on Ebay Motors Pro would cost around £420 a Month Plus the VAT 

15 Cars on Car Guru would Cost around £210 a Months Plus the VAT 

I just want to know which one would return the better leads

I have heard about some issues with Ebays Portal or Stock not being Live on the sites? 

Have Ebay had there day?

Are Car Gurus building Momentum? 

I would like to hear your opinion please on who to go with as I really need the extra Exposure especially with the Run of the Mill stuff which is sticking on Autotrader. 

Thanks in Advance 

Ebay is currently one of the worst companies to deal with, no customer service, no response to emails, too many tech problems with adverts randomly being removed or never going live etc. Only way to get them to contact you is by cancelling your direct debit.

Car Gurus is better as a company, but I found leads to be very thin on the ground. Odd sale here and there but then dry spells for months.

7 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

Ebay is currently one of the worst companies to deal with, no customer service, no response to emails, too many tech problems with adverts randomly being removed or never going live etc. Only way to get them to contact you is by cancelling your direct debit.

Car Gurus is better as a company, but I found leads to be very thin on the ground. Odd sale here and there but then dry spells for months.

Hi Thanks for the reply! 

Maybe I will give Car Guru a chance then and just upload single pay as you go adverts to Ebay Classifieds. 

Do you have any other suggestions for Advertising? 

7 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

14 hours ago, DBCARS said:

Hi Thanks for the reply! 

Maybe I will give Car Guru a chance then and just upload single pay as you go adverts to Ebay Classifieds. 

Do you have any other suggestions for Advertising? 

None that I know of, tend to find Autotrader works well as long as you understand how to advertise on Autotrader, if you have an account and paid monthly package you can call them up for tips etc.

2 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

None that I know of, tend to find Autotrader works well as long as you understand how to advertise on Autotrader, if you have an account and paid monthly package you can call them up for tips etc.

Been using autotrader for a long time I was on a paid package but it works out cheaper to do pay as you go adverts with them. 

I just find run of the mill stuff sticks a bit on there unless my pricing is too high. 

someone mentioned Exchange and Mart? Bit old school I know but I’m going to look into it.

Don’t fancy eBay Motors Group after the negative feedback on adverts not going live I have heard about this but thought they’d fixed the issue. I asked them and they said it was dealers using words they shouldn’t like cash, covid which will automatically pull an advert because it violates eBay’s policy. I really am starting to think eBay is a sinking ship. gumtree is full of beggars and motors has never been great. 

Car Guru might be worth a punt?

20 hours ago, DBCARS said:

Car Guru might be worth a punt?

Total waste of money is Car Guru , 

All you will get is weird named enquiries which is obviously false , plus punters can see how long you have had the car , Car Guru pricing is just ridiculous too and telling punters what cars are worth is insulting to us trader if I'm honest .

Learn how to use Auto trader to best effect , Pay as you go will by default give less response than a basic package , 

8 hours ago, David Horgan said:

All you will get is weird named enquiries which is obviously false , plus punters can see how long you have had the car , Car Guru pricing is just ridiculous too and telling punters what cars are worth is insulting to us trader if I'm honest .

Learn how to use Auto trader to best effect , Pay as you go will by default give less response than a basic package , 

I was PASYG on autotrader but recently signed up for a package. Its not cheap but its worth getting a package as and i have seen leads pick up with the package. and it car does stick your not bothered about have to fork out advertising costs again as its already listed. 

6 hours ago, slademotors said:

I was PASYG on autotrader but recently signed up for a package. Its not cheap but its worth getting a package as and i have seen leads pick up with the package. and it car does stick your not bothered about have to fork out advertising costs again as its already listed. 

There are pros and cons to the packages but good point about sticking stock!

Which package did you take out and how much does it cost per month?

I do achieve top retail prices on Autotrader and I’m not sure I’d get that on the cheaper platforms but who knows?

14 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Do you still get the weird named enquiry’s on the paid package? 

Autotrader also have the price markers!

I did notice how Car Gurushow how long you’ve had the Car in stock and I didn’t like that either ! 

Edited by DBCARS

5 minutes ago, DBCARS said:

There are pros and cons to the packages but good point about sticking stock!

Which package did you take out and how much does it cost per month?

I do achieve top retail prices on Autotrader and I’m not sure I’d get that on the cheaper platforms but who knows?

Do you still get the weird named enquiry’s on the paid package? 

Autotrader also have the price markers!

I did notice how Car Gurushow how long you’ve had the Car in stock and I didn’t like that either ! 

I got bargain package £356 quid a month for 6 cars.. one car above 2.5K rest below which i find a bit strange as market has moved up in price points. Probably need to call them and try neogtiate so i can list a bit higher priced cars 
No weird name enquiries most of them are pretty genuine/ But there are some crazy people who expect to see full show room condition car at£ 2.5k . One customer today really done my head in today.. wanted 600 quid off the car because there was some advisories on the MOT e.g. corrosion etc. 

Out of interest what is everyone paying for Autotrader? 

We’re paying £1250 p/month for 8 cars, think they said it’s 6 + 2 for free :lol: f*** all’s for free at that price, could have 2 mortgages. Instead got a few pics and still drowned out by Cazoo and Cinch. 

I’m considering cancelling and just moving to Facebook & Instagram. Managed a few sales there from £20-30 ads. 

9 hours ago, SK1John said:

We’re paying £1250 p/month for 8 cars, think they said it’s 6 + 2 for free :lol: f*** all’s for free at that price, could have 2 mortgages. Instead got a few pics and still drowned out by Cazoo and Cinch. 

I’m considering cancelling and just moving to Facebook & Instagram. Managed a few sales there from £20-30 ads. 

How does instagram work? Are they paid ads? 

8 hours ago, slademotors said:

Do you do more newer type of cars?

If your asking me im sub 5k

Edited by DBCARS

On 8/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, SK1John said:

Let me know how facebook instagram adds work for you.

got rid of auto trader 3 years ago - only use car gurus, ebay motors, facebook and all the many freebie portals that my website feeds. I havent noticed any drop in sales after ditching autotrader that was costind £3650 a month