Andy Entwistle

The ritual of starting a car

Whats the worst car you've driven for starting?

It used to be easy, get in, twist the key and off you go. These days its like some sort of initiation, press the button, press the clutch, hold the brake on, put your right finger in the cigarette socket and stick your tongue out....

We had a mercedes a few weeks back and it took me 5 minutes to get it running, i'm still not exactly sure how i did it either.....

I used to have a 205 GTI that needed a spanner and a contortionist to start it.

You had to reach down into the depths of the engine bay and give the starter a clout, freed off the solenoid and you could then start the car.. 

• Like 1

Totally agree. Love the fact I can get in the XR2 and it starts (sometimes) with just a twist of the key (and a wiggle to get the steering lock off).

Modern cars are getting more complicated. When did the depress the clutch before you can start procedure come into force? Who decided that was needed?

And don't get me started on electronic hand brakes...

Lets be honest, start buttons ( particularly red ones) should be reserved for race cars, supercars and serious sports cars with pedigree...

Its an unnecessary procedure on most cars to push a button and frankly, having a Red start button on something like a Mondeo Diesel Estate is just wrong !

MG6. 

I had a look round one at the weekend (neighbour had one for a few days, I hasten to add, I have no intention of buying one) and he chucked me a cheap and shiny lump of plastic and said 'see if you can start the car'.  It turns out you need to depress the clutch, stick the nasty plastic block into a hole in the dash, and hold it down until the rattly coal fired stove starts before taking your finger off the crudely printed logo on the end of the 'key'.

Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be made to spend some quality time driving an MG6...

• Like 1

and how about starting them ? :)

Haha, they're the really good one's!

My second car was a MKI Cavalier. Over the 18 months I owned it I basically replaced most of the items under the bonnet with the only exceptions of engine block, rad & front axle! It got so bad, when I was leaving the girlfriends place I'd let her neighbours know so they could help me bump it!

Never have seen someone always looking for a slope to park on.

Positive news, I'm really good a bumping cars!

Haha, yes been there with the old parking on a slope necessity!