Sign in to follow this  
BHM

PSA 2.0 16v PETROL

An older 2.0 16v Citroen/Peugeot PETROL, 130bhp, an engine-speed related bearing whirring sound at the cambelt end (removed the alternator belt & the sound was unchanged).

We’ll investigate further next week but my guess is cambelt pulley bearings rough so a kit change would cure it, however a suggestion was made of a noisy dephaser pulley, which I’ve only ever heard on Renaults & they used to just ’crunch’ for a few seconds.

Basically is it possible for a dephaser pulley to constantly make a bearing sound?

We’re spending a couple of hours a day slowly working through the leftovers in the hope of getting everything ship shape &  advertised on our eventual return.

I would be looking at the water pump seeing as it is driven by the timing belt and also check the timing belt idler and tensioner.

Edited by Row

I am assuming this is the EW10 engine?  I have never heard a dephaser pulley on one of those make a noise as you've described. Just give it a new timing belt kit and w/pump.

Thanks all. We’ve decided to order a timing kit for next week - only about £50+VAT so when we’re in there investigating the noise we might as well just do the £50 job. These old bangers are a lot cheaper to maintain than some of the newer stuff!!

1 hour ago, Ek cars said:

Africans love a silver top engined Peugeot, sell as is.

The mind boggles. Why on earth do Africans like 2.0 petrol PSA products?

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Thanks all. We’ve decided to order a timing kit for next week - only about £50+VAT so when we’re in there investigating the noise we might as well just do the £50 job. These old bangers are a lot cheaper to maintain than some of the newer stuff!!

The mind boggles. Why on earth do Africans like 2.0 petrol PSA products?

Export £500 all day long as it was

Edited by Ek cars

2 hours ago, Ek cars said:

Export £500 all day long as it was

Oh I see, the term silver top is new to me but if I get a ropey 2.0 petrol Pug/Citroen I’ll try selling ‘as is’. 

Without wishing to sound like Alf Garnett on a racist rant, on the odd occasion I get an African sounding voice on the phone they’re either in Brum or London (180/250 miles from me) and trying to take the piss with the most ridiculous offers. 

I’ve spent £50 on a kit, a couple of hours for the mechanic & I’ll £1000 the car if we ever get back to normal - it’s an automatic so will be a nice user for some old boy. 

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1