Sign in to follow this  
biglighty

Car Ownership

Hi Guys

Bit of an issue. My partner purchased a car 18 months ago and for some reason has not realised that it wasn't taxed until now. she can not find any reminders or current log book. The only log book she can find is from the original owner and was used to sign it over to the dealer. i told her to ring for a new v5 and they have informed her she has never been down as the registered keeper. It appears the dealer never completed the forms to legally transfer ownership. 2 questions, 1) how do we go about getting ownership. 2) what if there has been any tax fines or penalty points in this period she has been driving the car? Thanks 

You'll have to fill out a V62 form and post off an application for a V5. If she was never listed as an owner that could take 6 weeks to produce a document.

What part of the original V5 do you have ?

Edited by Highlinev8

44 minutes ago, biglighty said:

Hi Guys

Bit of an issue. My partner purchased a car 18 months ago and for some reason has not realised that it wasn't taxed until now. she can not find any reminders or current log book. The only log book she can find is from the original owner and was used to sign it over to the dealer. i told her to ring for a new v5 and they have informed her she has never been down as the registered keeper. It appears the dealer never completed the forms to legally transfer ownership. 2 questions, 1) how do we go about getting ownership. 2) what if there has been any tax fines or penalty points in this period she has been driving the car? Thanks 

Your responsibility to make sure the documents were sent too you . Any fines are coming your way as you were the driver at that time . 

V62 required either post office or online and print it , fill it in and take it to post office , sometimes they can tax sometimes they cant , if they can then happy days if not I suggest you dont drive it till you have the new reg doc V5 back . 

You can expect a tax bill for 18 months if its not been Sorn 'ed and maybe a fine too if DVLA are not happy and they say you have been driving on the road .

Really after the first year you should of realised it wasn't taxed , Plus you should have paid the tax when you collected the car from the dealer too . These two points alone make it your own fault but also not receiving a log book in the first month or 8 weeks was a give away too that all was not well .

dealer problem it might have been , but also maybe post problem too , and that's why the DVLA will blame you for not making sure it was all in order 

V62 is first move , tax it , don't use it till taxed , then fingers crossed they dont take you to the cleaners for the errors , 

1 hour ago, biglighty said:

Hi Guys

If you have the original log book, I think the supplying dealer left it to you to register it, likewise the tax. If they had done it online with you, everything would have been with you within days and you would have received an email instantly. Likewise the tax.

If you have the original log book still, fill it in, post it or follow the online instructions. And use the green section to get it taxed online IMMEDIATELY. You might want to check its got an MOT while you're at it....