D&M

Audi A6 - Wet Footwell!

Hi all,

We've got a 2004 Audi A4 Allroad Estate and have found the passenger side rear footwell is really wet. It's only that one footwell, the rest of them and the spare wheel well are all dry. Its fresh water, not coolant.

We've checked the scuttle panel, and thats clear.

Has anyone else had the same?

Just looking for some pointers where to check next. Any common leaks on these Audis?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by D&M

Have you ran water through the scuttle drains to be sure they are clear and water is running through?

• Like 1

Plenum chamber underneath the battery, there is a little rubber flange that clogs up. Remove said flange and throw in bin.

If you have access to a ramp this can be done underneath by a young lad (watch him get drenched) :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Plenum chamber underneath the battery, there is a little rubber flange that clogs up. Remove said flange and throw in bin.

If you have access to a ramp this can be done underneath by a young lad (watch him get drenched) :lol:

HAHA reminds me of watching that happen , It gushes doesn't it :rolleyes:

It was just a visual check. We'll pull out the battery tomrrow and see whats what.

Thanks for the tips!

You haven't employed my old valeter have you, twat was always leaving windows wide open on cars! I'd come in after a night of rain to find fish swimming around in the door pockets. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, J.T said:

You haven't employed my old valeter have you, twat was always leaving windows wide open on cars! I'd come in after a night of rain to find fish swimming around in the door pockets. :rolleyes:

Nope, but I've jetwashed a few then noticed the window was open a crack!

Just last month I loaded a car on our transporter in the pissing rain and drove from mid Wales down to mid Devon with it hammering down all the way... Got home to find I'd left one of the car windows down! :wacko: Lucky enough it stayed dry inside, just the seat bolster got a bit damp. Will be double checking that next time!

Right, so...

Battery tray is clear, traced the leak to a poorly fitted/slightly broken pollen filter housing. Repaired and tested and no more leak!

Sucked out as much water as we could with a wet vac, probably took about 2l out.

However, now the bloody thing keeps putting the hazard lights on by itself.... No flashing, just all lit up solid. Turn the engine on, and they'll turn off for a few minutes then back on. Had to take the hazard light switch out of the dash to make sure they stay off overnight.

Bloody thing.

3 hours ago, D&M said:

Right, so...

Battery tray is clear, traced the leak to a poorly fitted/slightly broken pollen filter housing. Repaired and tested and no more leak!

Sucked out as much water as we could with a wet vac, probably took about 2l out.

However, now the bloody thing keeps putting the hazard lights on by itself.... No flashing, just all lit up solid. Turn the engine on, and they'll turn off for a few minutes then back on. Had to take the hazard light switch out of the dash to make sure they stay off overnight.

Bloody thing.

Had the same thing on a 2001 golf tdi once many years ago its a pain isn't it in-fact i think that is why the previous owner got rid of the golf because of the water leak 

Edited by Casper

13 hours ago, D&M said:

Right, so...

Bloody thing.

The rubber bung is under the battery tray. Unless that bung is blocked, water shouldn’t pool big enough to pour in via the pollen filter housing. 

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

The rubber bung is under the battery tray. Unless that bung is blocked, water shouldn’t pool big enough to pour in via the pollen filter housing. 

The rubber bung is missing, already taken care of!

In the paperwork it had a new battery fitted 4 mouths ago! Who ever fitted it caught the pollen filter housing. So only 2 bolts out of 3 was holding the housing down :angry:

The dirt collected between the wing and pollen filter housing was allowing water to pool and get inside through the housing.

Taken the convinience module out  yesterday. That was wet with corroded connections - hopefully a thorough dry out and a generous amount of contact cleaner will see it right!

Edited by D&M
  • Like 1

Just an update to close the thread.

Convinience unit dried out, cleaned up all the contacts... Reconnected, and its all working as it should do.

Thanks all for the tips!