Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

2013 Mercedes a class, anyone had this?

Just bought at Manheim and the horn doesn’t work nor any of the steering wheel controls, it’s not showing an error on the snap on and all the fuses are ok, is it usually the steering wheel squib on these? 

Many thanks 

Yes contact spiral behind the wheel, I think it's one part combined with the steering angle sensor. £250 ish from MB. Obviously take wheel off first, clean contacts behind it, check wiring before replacing that. 

I wouldn’t because the new one comes locked in the centre position with a removable pin. Used ones are often sold without being centered and secured properly. You can try a used one if they accept returns. You’ll know immediately if it works. 

28 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

will the Merc star software pick it up?

Pick up the fault? Should do but could simply say N49 Steering angle sensor. Internal fault

Snap-Ons are poor on a number of things - especially Volvos. Half of the time your better of with a £150 ebay special (as ‘my’ gearbox man found out last week when his snap on couldn’t even reset the 4x4 warning on a 10yr old XC90).

Snap ons bad for Merc Andy.  We are trying to buy a knock off star for the Merc's we are stocking.