Funny Farm

Stolen Credit Card to Purchase car over Phone

I know of a couple of dealers around me (main dealers to smaller ones) that have all been caught by similar scams.

They all got theirs cars back, but was an incredibly stressful time. 

Glad you and your business survived!!

• Like 1

I recently had a call from a punter, similarly to you (but his name was not Dean). He stated that he already had delivery in place (without seeing the car) and wanted to pay the full amount via card over the phone.

Politely told him to stick it where the sun don’t shine..... agree with everyone else on here - only take what you can afford to lose over the phone - that is £200 tops 

Bank Transfers aren’t as safe as you think either... people can retract them back easily. I’ve noticed this happens with the smaller banks such as (MONZO, FIRST DIRECT ETC). 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, XDR said:

I recently had a call from a punter, similarly to you (but his name was not Dean). He stated that he already had delivery in place (without seeing the car) and wanted to pay the full amount via card over the phone.

Politely told him to stick it where the sun don’t shine..... agree with everyone else on here - only take what you can afford to lose over the phone - that is £200 tops 

Bank Transfers aren’t as safe as you think either... people can retract them back easily. I’ve noticed this happens with the smaller banks such as (MONZO, FIRST DIRECT ETC). 

Welcome to the forum and thanks will keep a mental note of the banks mentioned 

5 minutes ago, Casper said:

Welcome to the forum and thanks will keep a mental note of the banks mentioned 

Thanks @Casper

Hope all is well your side?

Definitely worth it, I always ask the “who do you bank with” question when a customer is about to pay.

The bigger boys (LLOYDS, HSBC, Barclays, Santander etc etc) don’t have time to recall bank transfers.

However it’s the smaller ones, which offer a more “personalised” service, would happily recall it back.

Best practice to avoid letting one of these slip through the net, is to reconcile all the payments each week, and make sure nothing is untowards. 

46 minutes ago, XDR said:

Thanks @Casper

Hope all is well your side?

Definitely worth it, I always ask the “who do you bank with” question when a customer is about to pay.

The bigger boys (LLOYDS, HSBC, Barclays, Santander etc etc) don’t have time to recall bank transfers.

However it’s the smaller ones, which offer a more “personalised” service, would happily recall it back.

Best practice to avoid letting one of these slip through the net, is to reconcile all the payments each week, and make sure nothing is untowards. 

All good here