Sign in to follow this  
15Cars

Riding the roller coaster

Good Evening 

Hope you're all well.

Interesting past 4 weeks for me; sold a few lumpy bits (by my standards) and some rarer cheaper stuff (absolutely fully-loaded 2009 low miles, 1 owner £4k diesel Fiesta with low miles and tons of options etc) I could've sold a dozen times over - on reflection I could've easily stuck another £700-odd quid on the asking price - but I'm learning. Had one dead week where the phone literally didn't ring, despite having quality stock with low miles and low prices, followed by a week where I sold every single retail vehicle advertised and the phone kept ringing on historic ads. The dead week was rather worrying I will admit.

I've been looking through my scrappy notes and it's never been clearer (to me at least) that AT is absolutely slaughtering Motors on my stock profile, so I've decided to call time on Motors for now.

Found a nice trading site today through a friend of the family, so will soon have indoor 'showroom' for 15 vehicles and outdoor parking for 20-odd for not much more than I'm paying for my current yard, so I'm happy.

Although tougher to find, my records are strongly suggesting I need to be finding nice condition 2-6k motors instead of the 10k+ stuff - they're quicker to turn around and the margins (again, for me at least) aren't dissimilar. Obviously, this could have everything to do with the fact that I'm currently trading from an appointment-only yard with a home-based office. 

Loads of phone calls on cheap white Audi/VW diesels from ROI...

I still go to bed every night praying for those 2k oddballs that sell for 4k export overnight via BACS :)

How are you getting on?

Edited by 15Cars
missed detail

There has been a further dip on the Sterling exchange rate recently hence a few more Irish buyers.  I also expect they are trying to get in before the potential Brexit fiasco.

• Like 2

Yes sure, realised that, but they've only phoned for the cheap, white German diesels - the 'trader' from Dublin that I've been chatting with this afternoon has said his punters do not care about miles or history - they just want white and cheap! :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Contracts said:

There has been a further dip on the Sterling exchange rate recently hence a few more Irish buyers.  I also expect they are trying to get in before the potential Brexit fiasco.

I've have started to notice more trade cars from N.I aiming to sell to England which I thought was unusual 

On 8/23/2019 at 8:43 PM, Contracts said:

We have had a lot of interest from Ireland, no questions asked when they turn up and paid in cash too.... also my pal has had one turn up on his door With cash

47 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

We have had a lot of interest from Ireland, no questions asked when they turn up and paid in cash too.... also my pal has had one turn up on his door With cash

Yep, just sold a lovely 2005 WRX STi PPP Impreza, low mileage and pristine to a couple of lads who I agreed to meet at Stansted. 2 x Bank transfers later, they were driving it back to Hollyhead to catch the ferry home... He was made up with the car and in the trade also...

Good punters from the Republic.We are near the airport and the last time the pound was low we used to find them waiting outside unannounced for us to open on Saturdays having got the early £15 Ryanair flight.It was A3’s then with big alloys.Sometimes we would get a call from the airport saying they had stopped someone carrying a lot of cash and could we confirm that they were collecting a car.We would of course but sometimes we had no idea who they were.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2019 at 11:50 AM, C B said:

I wonder why :rolleyes:

What's your website, @15Cars?

Obviously I'm not gonna post that publicly - PM me, introduce yourself and I'll gladly send you my URL fella

On 8/25/2019 at 10:27 AM, trade vet said:

Good punters from the ROI .We are near the airport and the last time the pound was low we used to find them waiting outside unannounced for us to open on Saturdays having got the early £15 Ryanair flight.It was A3’s then with big alloys.Sometimes we would get a call from the airport saying they had stopped someone carrying a lot of cash and could we confirm that they were collecting a car.We would of course but sometimes we had no idea who they were.

Hahaha, exactly. Usually their bundle of GBP notes are wrapped in ROI bank receipts too. You know you're never gonna hear from them again, a pleasure to deal with compared to Karen, age 40 on 12k a year, tax credits, housing benefit and will come back in 5 months with issues, no stranger to leaving devastating online feedback